News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Regional Tech Belt?...Is this the “Cart before the Horse”?

Started by Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics, October 02, 2007, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

There you go, that in itself IS a good idea that I agree with 100%.

By the way, have you approached Congressman Ryan about it? He's in a position to get the funds for such a project.

Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics

And for the record...After I'm elected as your new County Commissioner I will seek to increase the budget of the YBI only if they allocate a substantial portion of the facility and their expertise to "Useful" Computer Training for the Youngstown City Population.

Towntalk

And, Mr. Expert, I suppose that you are going to tell us that all the brand new software on Download.com and C-Net are just vareations on older software.

The original idea that you promogate was that there was no place for a Regional Tech Belt here,and absolutely nothing that you say will ever convince me that you are right.

I'll bet that if you had your way that the Youngstown Incubator would be defunded.

If there's no future for high tech here, why is the Youngstown Incubator having to greatly expand it's space? A waste of money?

If, and I say IF you were elected County Commissioner what would your plans be?

Lets hear specifics, and not just lessons on political advisers or consulants. Be specific and leave the generalities for your campaign literature. Given that this is the second office you've sought, it's obvious that the public really doesn't know all that much about what you would do for the county.

Simply griping about all the attention that Youngstown as the County Seat gets isn't enough, and given that County Commissioners have little say on township government that won't cut it.

Roads ... Jail ... County agencies ... taxes ... economic development ... these are the issues that need your attention.

Manipulating visual based computer images within an existing computer software program is not computer programming.  Advanced computer software applications users are not computers programmers...even though their community college instructors tell them so, they only create custom graphic user interfaces on top of a working computer software application and this is what gamers do.

Most true computer programs are constructed directly on top of the MS/DOS operating system...the real world needs better and more creative computer applications users not computer programmers as in the real definition of the title.

Towntalk

Bellamy said: "I am not a computer programmer and today no one needs to be a programmer ..."

This is simply not true. Have you ever used Download.com? There is always fresh new software for every aspect of computer use that was written by both individuals and small companies.

There are several sites where you can get NEW software that didn't just pop up out of nowhere.

I personally have a family member that teaches computer programming and graphic design at Tomball College a community college in Texas, and know just a little bit about the demand there is for software and graphic design in this country.

In the area of gaming alone there is a real demand for programmers hence a number of community colleges like Tomball have set up courses in programming.

Mary

I had a program that i wanted written (it was to be for resale) and was more then willing to pay for (or partner with the person). A professor begged students to do it and no one wanted any part of it. 

I bought my first computer in 1981-83. It was this big modern expensive state of the art clunker made by Xerox; it had no graphics, no mouse, a black screen with one blinking curser.   So that's where I started...

I am not a computer programmer and today no one needs to be a programmer...The business market needs strong computer software applications users.  Most new and useful computer programs are designed by other computer programs or visual based computer applications that are created by other computer software application users.

Towntalk

The company that we have here now is creating divices but there are openings in the field of programming.

As to computer knowledge, I admit that I've used computers since I got my first on in 1992, and now administer a web site I built myself from scratch, but anyone can do that with the tools that are available on line. But could I sit down and write a program? That is where YSU comes in. I couldn't write a program on my own.

I don't know how long you have used a computer or what your skill level is with such programs as Excel, Photo Shop, Power Point, or Access to name a few, but none of these programs require an advanced degree, so I wouldn't be too quick to marginalize the average user.

Remember this ... the first PC's were built in family garages, and a Major Software provider was a college dropout.

I'm not always right but...my view and speculation about the field of Technology; is that underneath the mystery surrounding this field there, revels 2 distinctive areas for growth [as in employment].

Computer Networking/Connectivity and Computer Applications Professionals

1.   Computer Networking/Connectivity; as once known only 4 years ago is dieing off as you read this.  The entire premise of "Plug-n-Play" indicates that professions death.

2.   Computer Applications Professionals; Our region/nation is hard wired and Wi-Fi Ready today and we do have many computer users on the Internet but; Our causal computer user has limited computer application skills [myself included] that can be transformed into economic value.  Then there is the very large group of us who are not connected to the Net and have very low computer application skills.

Most all future technology based employment will be centered on computer application skills.  Ones ability to become quickly adapted and productive in using standard and customized computer applications will determine your employability.

jay

Many students graduate from YSU each year with degrees in technology.  I'm sure we will have an ample supply of tech workers from our own community.  If the "Tech Belt" is successful, maybe our children won't have to move away to have a good career.

Towntalk

A free computer for every home ... free high speed internet access in every home ... where would we get the money to pay for it? Could someone please explain that to me?

Let's take it a step further ... would it not be better to set up as some have suggested Internet cafe's scattered all over town.

The high tech suggestion is a good one. The company that is already here is a shining example of what can be done. I dare say that it's products are being sold internationally.

How many of this company's products will be used on our homes? I dare say that no one in this group will ever buy one for their computer, but our schools will be using them.

Where is it written that before a new company comes to our valley that the products they manufacture have to be sold here, and if there isn't a local market that they should be kept out?

That attitude would exclude all sorts of job opportunities.

If GM wanted to open up a plant that built tractor trailer trucks would we say no because there are no tractor trailer drivers here?

And so what if we get some fresh blood into the valley. I'd think that we would be welcoming them with open arms because they would be adding to our tax base, spending money here, building new homes, and making numerous other contributions to the area. We're talking about skilled workers here doing skilled jobs.

northside lurker

This isn't creating something from nothing.  We have the business incubator and technology center.  Cleveland is also seeing great successes with technology related businesses. (I don't know what's going on in Pittsburgh, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing well with technology, too.)  Even more can be accomplished if we can work together.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Regional Tech Belt?...Is this the "Cart before the Horse"?

California's Silicon Valley was started by area people who had a creative interest and basic computer knowledge [mostly McIntosh]. Maybe it's wiser to get our local work force more computer literate and trained first then allow their creative abilities to blossom.

We are all for a Regional Tech Belt and we will support it, but the workers for these type of new business ventures will come from outside of our area. The mass of our work force will remain the same if they are not trained in basic computer use and have near free Internet connectivity.

What do you think?