News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Financial Forecast Public Meeting - Monday, May 14

Started by jay, May 14, 2018, 05:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

A charter amendment to reduce the number of councilmen was on the ballot a few years ago.  It failed.

:'(

northside lurker

I fully support closing rarely used streets.  But, the city can't just reduce the number of council members.  That can only be done through a charter amendment, which is voted on by the city residents.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Quote from: jay on May 15, 2018, 06:31:17 AM
It's time for the residents of Youngstown to make suggestions for ways to increase city revenues.

I'm pretty sure there are only two ways to succeed financially, bring in more or spend less.

Considering the current population of the city, increased revenue would only hurt those that are left, probably causing those that can leave to do so, causing even less revenue.

The only answer is to reduce spending. Period!

Spending can be reduced in several ways, based on Youngstown's population being about 67,000 I can certainly think of reducing city council.  Why?

Because the US average number of people being represented by a city councilmember is 65,000.  In Los Angeles the number is over 250,000.

So now I'll round that population up to an even 70,000 and divide by the 7 council peoples. HMMM.... That means councilmembers in Youngstown only represent 10,000 people each. And remember I rounded population up to get this number and didn't include the Council President, both of which make it even lower.

Youngstown could also close probably a couple of dozen streets, not being fully used, randomly throughout the city, NOT downtown. No snow plowing, minimal need for police, no upkeep on sewers, let then return to wooded areas and no cost to mow the grass.

While none of these are exactly a huge savings they could be a start in the right direction and I'm sure other people can come up with similar or even better ideas than the two I just posted.

JoyceFarrell

A very good question. The Wick family did that very thing when they gave the city Wick Park.

Rushblvd

Interesting on the golf course...
I do play there but I also know they loose money on trying to maintain it..Question ??? If the Stambaugh family gave the course to the City a very long time ago, what are the stipulations on the use, and sale of the land.

jay

It's time for the residents of Youngstown to make suggestions for ways to increase city revenues.

jay

Youngstown's financial forecast looks bleak.

Look for employee wage concessions or employee layoffs.

Sale of the city's golf course is a possibility.

jay

Youngstown Financial Forecast Public Meeting

Monday, May 14, 5:00 p.m.

A financial consultant will provide an analysis of the city's current and future financial condition for the next five years.

- Location -
Community Room
Convocation Centre
East Front Street
Downtown Youngstown