News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Disposing old matresses

Started by JoyceFarrell, April 30, 2018, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyceFarrell

Thumbs up for your post! Great observation.

Why?Town

In one way this seems OK. I'd hate to get bedbugs from loading someones bedbuggy trash into my truck. I wonder if it's even possible to end up with bedbugs that happen to be in a matress that is picked up and tossed. I thought it took at least a few minutes for them to notice your body heat and get over to you,   Hmmm....

But I've read a couple of times about the amount of plastic floating in the oceans and some place in the USA (city, state, IDK?) either is trying to, or has succeeded at, banning plastic straws in restaurants. This started me wondering how plastic affects a landfill, I doubt it's much different than the ocean. I also wondered how much plastic do I deal with every day. Heck as I type this I realize that every key I hit is plastic within a plastic "keycase" oops I meant a keyboard. The frame around my monitor is plastic and so is the mouse. All this while eating some popcorn that was poured from a plastic bag into a plastic bowl while drinking from a plastic cup containing iced tea that was poured from a plastic pitcher.

Plastic is bad no matter what and I really think something should be done about it but hey let's get the government to add some to the trash  they won't let us burn instead.

JoyceFarrell

To prevent the spread of bed bugs, a new collection policy has been enacted by the City of Youngstown Sanitation Department in cooperation with the Youngstown City Health District.
TO DISPOSE OF MATTRESSES AND BOX SPRINGS
• By law, all mattresses and box springs must be encased in a sealed plastic bag before they can be discarded.
• Before disposal, wrap the mattress and/or box spring in heavy-duty plastic (like a plastic tarp or plastic drop cloth) and securely seal it with duct tape.

City of Youngstown Sanitation will pick them up but ONLY if the mattresses and box springs are wrapped and contained properly.
If you place unwrapped items at the curb, Sanitation will not remove them. You will be in violation of City of Youngstown litter ordinances and could be cited and fined. Please wrap mattresses/box springs properly and Sanitation will remove them from the curb with your other trash as part of your regular trash pickup service.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Green Youngstown at (330) 744-7526, Sanitation at (330) 742-8800, or the Youngstown Health Department at (330) 744-3333.

JoyceFarrell

In order to be picked up on your designated trash day, mattresses need to be wrapped for sanitary reasons. Plastic mattress covers are available at most retail stores, however, our Green Youngstown team has created these awesome mattress wrap packages!

They can be received from Green Youngstown, your community police officer, or your council person for free!