News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Postal Service Breaking News

Started by Towntalk, November 14, 2014, 11:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

So true Towntalk, and we want to turn over our healthcare to these same leaders.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: AllanY2525 on November 16, 2014, 04:34:10 AM
Peggy, does your mail order prescription provider allow the shipping of more than one month's meds?

My mother takes several medications that are mailed to her.  I've made arrangements to have them sent
in 3 month supplies by her RX drug supplier.  When she gets down to 2 weeks worth, we re-order.

I don't know if your RX by mail provider can do that, but it might be worth checking into if you
haven't already done that

His provider is the VA Medical Center in Cleveland. There are some meds he takes that they do already send 3 month supplies of.
However he is on 2 meds that are considered a "controlled substance" so, by law, the doc is permitted to prescribe only 30 days at a time.

I understand this, because my son is on Ritalin, which is considered a 'controlled substance" and his doc can prescribe only 1 month at a time.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

How many countries are there upon the face of the planet Earth? Each of these nations has a government run postal service ... even the most lowly and poverty stricken of countries where families are forced to live on a dollar a day, yet here we sit in the United States of America ... a first world superpower capable of wiping out our enemies with nuclear weapons ... with the ability to send men to the moon and back ... with the capacity to feed millions of starving children in third world countries, with the best hospitals on earth, yet here we sit, faced with the possability of losing our postal service.
What complete and utter pathetic fools we are ... the laughing stock of the world, bungling dumbos that don't have the senses we were born with. Running around in endless circles looking for what ... we don't know. It's no wonder why other countries don't fear us, or take us seriously.
Our leader sit around the halls of government babbling away like children while the very walls around them crumble into dust knowing full well that the blame fools back home will keep reelecting them, so it's little wonder why they can't solve this problem. And who are the blame fools? We are, each and every one of us with no exceptions.

This song says it all about us here in America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haV2ZflrSMY

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on November 15, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
My son's dad's meds are mailed to him from the Cleveland VA.
Those meds will be delayed by 2-3 days.

Peggy, does your mail order prescription provider allow the shipping of more than one month's meds?

My mother takes several medications that are mailed to her.  I've made arrangements to have them sent
in 3 month supplies by her RX drug supplier.  When she gets down to 2 weeks worth, we re-order.

I don't know if your RX by mail provider can do that, but it might be worth checking into if you
haven't already done that

AllanY2525

Quote from: sfc_oliver on November 15, 2014, 12:32:49 PM
Sorry Alan, but i don't buy this for the customer BS.

So any letter i send from my Local Post Office (if i get to keep it) has to go to Cleveland now just to be sorted to be delivered a block from my house?

Sorry but those extra 2 days is not what I call customer service.

Not to mention that I used to get Netflix DVD's  with a 2 day turn around time, I'm thinking it will be closer to four days now and no longer worth the cost...So there goes another customer they will lose business from...

I did not opine with regard to delivery times....or the quality of service ..... the Postal Service has
to stay financially solvent so that it can stay in busines, pay its bills etc and continue  to serve all of its
customers - or eventually there might be NO service at all.  Quality of service would then become a
moot point.

The first and cardinal rule of ANY business is to remain profitable - and therefore continue to be IN
business.  If they keep losing money at U.S.P.S. then one could probably expect the quality, level
and types of available services  to continue to decline.

The 1Billion $$ profit they made does NOT offset the 5 Billion dollars they lost the year before
OR the15.9 Billion deficit reported  in 2012.  The fact that the Postal service still exists
obviously means that they had to borrow the funds from SOMEWHERE to keep the doors open.

If that "subsidy" happens to be ANY part of government, then guess who is footing the
bill?  Answer: you and me, the tax payers.  Does anyone here want to continue to
subsidize the huge losses I mentioned above with their hard earned tax dollars, or
would you rather see the Postal Service get out of deficit and become financially self
sufficient so that bailouts and subsidies become unnecessary?

I prefer the latter.  I don't even use the post office - so having my tax dollars helping
them to stay afloat with billions in defecits just to save some folks' jobs  and provide
financial life support to local business strikes me as totally ludicrous (sp?)

sources: www.nytimes.com,   http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_087.htm

Anyone can search Google for "us postal service operating losses" and find the articles stating this.

With regard to the extra two days for letters, etc - I already agree with you in that this is TOO long.  FedEx
sends all  packages to a single processing center/freight hub near Atlanta - even if you're sending it to
someone in your OWN city.   The location of their processing hub is irrelevant to the quality of service
they provide.  Even with "next day delivery".  But then, FedEx has the funds and facilities to DELIVER
items this quickly as they don't operate at a loss, either.

sfc_oliver

My Meds come from AZ.... I hadn't thought about them being slowed down too... then of course there is the local advertising... You know, all that so called junk mail that many local businesses may opt out of...

Peggy Gurney

My son's dad's meds are mailed to him from the Cleveland VA.
Those meds will be delayed by 2-3 days.
~ Normal is overrated ~

sfc_oliver

Sorry Alan, but i don't buy this for the customer BS.

So any letter i send from my Local Post Office (if i get to keep it) has to go to Cleveland now just to be sorted to be delivered a block from my house?

Sorry but those extra 2 days is not what I call customer service.

Not to mention that I used to get Netflix DVD's  with a 2 day turn around time, I'm thinking it will be closer to four days now and no longer worth the cost...So there goes another customer they will lose business from...

AllanY2525

The post office has no responsibility to provide other businesses in the area with
financial "life support".

It's primary responsibility is to itself, it's customers.   It is working to lower costs and
Increase efficiency, all  while operating in a market where  it's share of the business
has been steadily shrinking year after year (along with REVENUES)  and will continue to
do so for the foreseeable future.

After several years of operating at a loss, it's just common sense to get ahead of
the market trends to try and avoid future losses, stay nimble, and adapt to the changing
market.

The fact that it had a 1 billion dollar profit for last fiscal year doesn't guarantee that it
will have the same amount of profit another year from now, with costs rising and revenues
falling simultaneously. 

They might as well protest the internet for taking business away from it, and protest
the fact that more and more customers are choosing some other means of sending
written communications, packages, etc.