News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Free Walking Tour at Oak Hill Cemetery

Started by MVHS, September 15, 2006, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

ForumManager

We took some photos last spring, but none of them do it justice.
My son was particularly impressed with the little angel monument in one of the photos.

Leah

This sounds great.  My family and I have often explored Oak Hill on our own.  A guided tour would be very interesting.

Rick Rowlands

The Mahoning Valley Preservation Club!   Now that is a name I haven't heard in years.  I was once very active in that organization until the big split with the Idora Park people.    I remember collecting signatures on petitions at the corner of Billingsgate to save the ballroom, meetings in the B&O Station Restaurant, tours of the Masonic Temple, Mill Creek Park.  It was fun!   Nothing really replaced it.

I walked through Oak Hill last fall looking for the grave of William Tod.  Found it, as well as Governor Tod's, William B. Pollock, Henry Stambaugh.  It was like walking on sacred ground.  Those names I've seen over and over in the history that I study were right there beneath my feet.

I don't know if I can attend the tour of the cemetery but I will try.

AllanY2525

I drove through Oakhill Cemetary at the beginning of the summer - fascinating history there.
Many of Youngstown's founding families are buried there.  If you visit Oakhill Cemetary,
some of the last names on the head stones immediately sound familiar, as many of
Youngstown's streets, etc were named after these families.

:)

jay

Years ago, I went on a tour of the Oak Hill Cemetery with the Mahoning Valley Preservation Club.  Everyone should take this tour.

MVHS

The Young Leaders Advisory Board of the Mahoning Valley Historical Society is sponsoring a free series this year entitled History to Go.  The first event will be a walking tour of Oak Hill Cemetery.

A View From the Hill
Thursday, September 21st
5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
Free
Oak Hill Cemetery @ the intersection of Oak Hill Ave. and High Street
Free refreshments and secured parking will be available in the cemetery.
For more information call the Historical Society at 330.743.2589 or send an email to
mvhs@mahoninghistory.org

Upcoming History to Go Events
Dates & Times TBD
October - Panel Discussion on Local Broadcasting
November - The Homefront: An examination of local participation in World War II
January - School Spirit: a panel discussion on local high school and YSU football
March - Mobtown USA: Separating Fact from Fiction a history of organized crime in the Valley
May - Walking Warren an architectural walking tour of the historic center of Warren
Become a Facebook Fan!
www.facebook.com/mahoninghistory

Check out our blog!
www.mahoninghistory.blogspot.com