News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Network Solutions Provider eyeing downtown location

Started by AllanY2525, December 18, 2013, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I'm not against a reduction in the income tax.  But I wonder if people are willing to accept the decrease in city services that would follow?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Please remember that a city income tax increase or a city income tax decrease has to be approved by the voters of Youngstown.

I don't think the mayor or city council would push this idea. 

The only other way to do it would be through a citizen petition drive to place an income tax decrease on the ballot.  Petition drives are too difficult for a few citizens to successfully undertake and the mayor and council know that.

Towntalk

Has this idea been proposed to Mayor McNally? It's certainly a good one, and if pushed by the right people who are in a position to make life miserable for Council members, it could happen.

AllanY2525

I Think the city should consider reducing the city income tax rate.  They should
take an average among other Ohio cities that have a local income tax and
then consider something more realistic.

This tax is squeezing hard working people who are already struggling to pay
all of the bills and put food on the table at the same time. 

The tax probably  does have an effect on the job market and how attractive the city
is to businesses who might consider expanding in, or relocating to, Youngstown.

ytowner

Quote from: jay on December 25, 2013, 08:23:03 PM
Watch for another large downtown accounting firm to pack up and move to the suburbs.

Is Councilwoman Gillam aware of this?   :-X

Will City Council ever make a move to reduce the city income tax?   :-\

City income tax is a major killer to business growth in the city... The liberal vs. conservative argument on taxes is exemplified in the city of Youngstown. Liberals want higher taxes to pay the bills, while conservatives want lower taxes to create jobs. In Youngstown, we have used the liberal argument and with the likes of Cafaro soon on the way out, among others, I hope our new Mayor takes note.

AllanY2525

Sorry everyone didn't mean to be a Grinch.  My job made me work overnight for Christmas Eve
and Christmas day......    uggggghhhhhhh

I have deleted my last post.

Towntalk

{1} How many jobs would be involved?
{2} How much of their business involves walk in traffic?
{3} What is the location of their client base?
{4} By moving out of the city, how much revenue would be lost to the city?
{5} Who are their target clients ... individual ... corporate ... both?
{6} So many questions and so few answers at this point.

jay

Watch for another large downtown accounting firm to pack up and move to the suburbs.

Is Councilwoman Gillam aware of this?   :-X

Will City Council ever make a move to reduce the city income tax?   :-\

Rick Rowlands

Lieralism never takes a holiday.  Actually liberalism would like to abolish holidays as they are oppressive and discriminatory.

So in defiance I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Towntalk

Yes Allan, give it a break till 12:01AM then Christmas will be over then we can take up where we left off. >:)
Merry Xmas Billy.

Billy Mumphrey

Towntalk

Good analegy Jay. Some folks do not consider the consequences of their ideas, or its impact on the community at large. In the end though, they end up the losers with nothing to show for their misguided efforts.

jay

If corporations don't have to pay their fair share of taxes, then let's also reduce the local income tax for the average Joe/Jane living in Youngstown by eliminating the city income tax.   

Then where would we be?   ::)

Towntalk

And who says they don't? Do you think that the auto workers at Lordstown are making slave wages?

Billy Mumphrey

Well, then those corporations should take their tax abatements and use those savings to pay workers a living wage.