News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Anyone Willing To Circulate Charter Amendment Petitions?

Started by jay, August 02, 2013, 09:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

iwasthere

i heard through the grapevine that there is a grp drafting up several petitions to chg the way ytown city council looks at themselves. i will assist to circulate petitions to improve our city daily operations through charter amendments.

kenneyjoe330

Excuse me Mr. Mumphrey - may I "read into" your posts that you may be referring to Mr. Jay to run for political Office  :laugh:  If so I SECOND THAT MOTION ! ! !   Then maybe YOU may consider a political Office  8)  I certainly would SECOND THAT MOTION also  :laugh: please don't run against Mr. Jay though.  I think I am like a lot of people who want change for Youngstown but would never consider running for public office  ;D ;D ;D

Billy Mumphrey

Then we need new candidates to run for council to change the status quo.

jay

If Youngstown Forum members are not willing to circulate a petition to place any of the Charter Review Commission's proposals on the ballot, then all is lost.  I agree Towntalk that Youngstown residents are too lazy and apathetic to ever make an effort to improve government in the city.
:'(

Towntalk

Charter Amendments

If the Charter amendments make it to the ballot again the big question is how they will be presented, because one of those amendments could very well set the city back fifty years, and guarantee that businesses looking for places to relocate will never consider Youngstown, and I'm referring to the so-called bill of rights.

We've gone over this highway to doom before, so it serves no useful purpose to repeat it here, so I won't, but consider this, there are those who favor other charter amendments that are truly needed, and will vote for them, but in their haste, will simply vote yes on all the amendments, including the one that is the so-called bill of rights, even though experts in Constitutional law have already said that it couldn't stand a court test.

When it comes to the issues portion of the ballot, folks generally are lazy, and do not do their homework, and in this case ignorance isn't bliss. No one in their right mind would pound their head against a wall to cure a tooth ache, yet when it comes to voting for issues, they don't read the fine print, and that's where the problem is. "If it sounds good, and doesn't cost me anything I'll vote for it." But what will it cost in terms of jobs, new businesses, and a higher standard of living for us?

We do not get second chances coming our way often ... not second chances that bring new businesses to our community, yet there are those who are saying that rather than bring new businesses to Youngstown, we should drive them away, and build a wall around Youngstown that would guarantee that what progress we have made to date will die away, leaving us in the same situation that we were in back when our downtown area was a ghost of it's former self, when even more of our youth will move away, not to mention what it would do to our university.

There are those who would vote for all the charter amendments just to spite city council ... "I'll show them who's boss around here." but once the damage has been done will whine about the situation they've helped create.

jay

Are there any Forum members who would be willing to circulate petitions to place some of the Charter Review Commission's recommendations on the ballot?