News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Up and Down Downtown Youngstown

Started by Towntalk, May 05, 2013, 08:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

And that my friends is why downtown restaurants go belly up!   

Great response!!!

Why?Town

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 05, 2013, 09:26:30 AM
Where do you park on West Federal to go to V2s for lunch?

I usually drive past V2 and around the block once or twice looking for a space then drive over the Firefighter Memorial bridge and park in a parking lot beside whatever west side restaurant I actually end up eating at.

Rick Rowlands

Yes it will.  It is so damn frustrating to have come such a long way with this city to risk losing all those gains because of a few leftist troublemakers.

Downtown needs additional parking for retail customers and to get rid of the parking meters AGAIN.  Maybe one of the reasons that the MVR is still busy and popular is because you can go there anytime, pull into one of THREE large lots and then go eat.  Where do you park on West Federal to go to V2s for lunch?

Towntalk

This upcoming election will tell the tale about the downtown's future good or bad. The one trump card is, and I know that this will be controversial, is the future of the shale oil industry in the valley, and if, and this is a big if, it does then we need people in city hall that will fight tooth and nail to bring company office to downtown Youngstown, and not Boardman. Put a couple of corporate local headquarters downtown would mean added jobs with big pay checks, and by locating them in what office space is available, and that's a lot, we could very well see a growth in retail trade, but if we lock them out, no company, and no smallbusiness will consider locating anywhere in Youngstown, it's as simple as that.

Towntalk

To your ever lasting credit Jay, you tried, you gave it your best shot.

iwasthere

i read the vindy article in which the reporter gave pros and cons on ytown dt. tt, this will take businessswo/men to invest in ytown down without the help of city leaders that causes business adventures to peter out or never comes to reality. the new ytown dt merchants assoc. is an good example of buiness people working together for the common good for the ytown dt merchants without a hidden agenda..

jay

It's too bad "Downtown Day" was discontinued.

Towntalk

Point well taken Billy. There are two high rise projects being worked on to add to the three that are already up and running, and there is talk about a hotel in the Stambaugh Building, but at this point in time, that's all it is, so until we actually see work going on we can't take that into consideration as a serious venture.

I know that personally, I do all my shopping along the Belmont corridor since it has everything I need so I currently have no reason to go downtown unless it's to a show at Powers Auditorium.

Billy Mumphrey

When I visit certain establishments downtown during the weekday afternoons for eating and drinking they are mostly empty after the lunch crowd goes back to work. I always wonder how these places can stay open. More apartment dwellers are needed downtown, as well as possibly specialty shops and everyday retail as well. Driving out on 224 and 422 dodging the traffic is becoming a pain as I grow older. I would love to be able to zip into downtown for a few items and maybe spend a buck or two and zip out, or even take the WRTA.

Towntalk

This article says it all about downtown Youngstown and it certainly doesn't sound hopeful, but then we here have any number of almighty experts who can and most likely will step in and tell us all how this bleak picture can be changed for the better. I know I have my own thoughts about it, but I'll defer to my betters for their views.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/may/05/downtown-youngstowns-ups-downs/

Perhaps if we brainstorm the subject, it can get back to the powers that be, and could be implimented.