News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Dooney's

Started by jay, May 01, 2013, 07:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndz

WAS being the key word. I had a great conversation with a reporter from the Vindy yesterday and we spoke about how the East end is different from the West end of Federal largely because of the size of the spaces in that area and the through traffic / lack of foot traffic.
I personally think that that side is perfect for larger establishments / development projects.

Towntalk

Actually that video doesn't tell the whole story about the East End. You wouldn't want to be there after dark. That's when the real characters came out and it could get pritty dicey. Certainly you wouldn't want to be on East Boardman or East Front Street after dark. This was the "Skid Row" section of downtown Youngstown right up to the Urban Renewal period.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on May 01, 2013, 07:41:17 AM
The East End pre Urban Renewal ... ah the memories it brings back to grey old head of mine ... Once you got past Champion Street it was like you walked through a window into the early 1900's. The shops were dingy ... the goods dated ... the whole atmosphere was depression era dreary ... pawn shops ... fruit markets ... saloons ... clothing stores that sold cheap clothing ... a few second hand stores and a smelly old theater that featured foreign movies ... and a couple of flop houses for down and out men. Fortunately most of you are too young to remember the East End pre Urban Renewal. Today the memory of those days of yore hang over the East End like a shroud.

Based on the videos I've seen by Metro Monthly, East Federal today would be much more interesting without the urban renewal.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Three things stand out in the Dooney announcement that seem to escape the attention of some folks:

Dooney's was sold to a new owner.
  • The announcement that the Stambaugh Building is going to be converted into a hotel.
  • Downtown daily traffic isn't heavy enough to support all the restaurants that are already downtown.

And why wasn't it reported here that Dooney's had been closed for two weeks prior to the official announcement?

As the owners said in the article ... it's a tough business and restaurants come and go, and that's that.

He also pointed out that "from Monday to Thursday you're not selling drinks and beer — and that makes things hard."

Towntalk

The East End pre Urban Renewal ... ah the memories it brings back to grey old head of mine ... Once you got past Champion Street it was like you walked through a window into the early 1900's. The shops were dingy ... the goods dated ... the whole atmosphere was depression era dreary ... pawn shops ... fruit markets ... saloons ... clothing stores that sold cheap clothing ... a few second hand stores and a smelly old theater that featured foreign movies ... and a couple of flop houses for down and out men. Fortunately most of you are too young to remember the East End pre Urban Renewal. Today the memory of those days of yore hang over the East End like a shroud.

jay

Quote West Federal, with many more interesting buildings remaining, is generally a more pleasant place to be.

I agree.

northside lurker

Well, the damage done by urban renewal was heavier on the east side of downtown.  West Federal, with many more interesting buildings remaining, is generally a more pleasant place to be.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Dooney's

Is there such a thing as the East End Curse?