News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Treez Please Fundraiser

Started by Billy Mumphrey, March 02, 2013, 08:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Ron, I doubt that they are classical "chain me to the tree" tree huggers. As to your other questions, a quick glance at their web site tells little about the leadership. They say the pay volunteers in time bank play money.

Speaking about groups like this though, Grow Youngstown's Fairgreen gardens are right behind me, and their lots are a total mess with covers laying around willy nilly along with other trash. They seem to have made no effort to clean up after themselves.

Youngstownshrimp

Questions:
1.  Is treez please anti logging?
2.  Is treez please parlaying public money into salaries?
3.  What professionals in science to they have in leadership?

Towntalk

Thanks westsider. As I said, my only concern was as posted, and so long as it's done right, that's all that matters.

northside lurker

Yes, I believe they do.  I'm no longer a member, but I remember getting facebook invitations for doing this sort of maintenance at some of the trees they planted around Wick Park.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Great, but that answered do they take the responsability of caring for them over the first year after planting?

http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/5113/Default.aspx

northside lurker

QuoteDo the volunteers have the expertese to properly plant the trees?

Yes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Billy, no one objects to the goals of this organization, it's just that my concern is how it cares for the trees once they are planted. You just don't plant a tree then walk away from it and not care for it until it's established.

In nature, trees drop seeds, the seeds grow into saplings and the fittest grow into trees. That's natures way. This organization takes saplings and plants them, but after that the saplings need to be cared for ... watered fertalized and mulched on a regular basis for the first year or so. Do the volunteers have the expertese to properly plant the trees? Are they planted at the proper depth? Have the roots been properly tended to when planting? They need to be loosened so they can spread out properly. It's not enough to simply dig a hole, put the root bulb in, and cover it.

Good intentions often go arye and the tree fails to become established, hence nothing is gained.

When a homeowner has trees planted on their property they are given instructions on how to care for it. They've invested money for that tree, but when this organization plants trees, there is no responsability on neighbors to invest time and money to care for it through the first years, and that tree is at the mercy of all sorts of problems.

Billy Mumphrey

Being new to the area, from what I have learned about this organization, Treez Please has been organized to plant trees and increase greenspace in the city of Youngstown, Ohio. Members and volunteers work with neighborhood groups, community groups and WEAN Neighborhood Success Grant recipients to beautify the city through the process of consulting, educating, buying, planting and caring for trees. Why would some people have a problem with a group trying to beautify the city? Hats off to this organization!
http://www.wytv.com/content/news/local/story/Tree-Planting-Project-Beautifies-Playground/hu3BpBWuh0WhdWkDjUnsUQ.cspx

Towntalk

My friends, thake a walk some bright and sunny day through Mill Creek Park with wide open minds, hearts and eyes, and look around at the wonders of nature at work without the aid of mortal hands. You will see that trees drop seeds that sprout up and in God's good time become mature trees offering haven and home to our woodland creatures.

In fact, to insure healthy trees, it becomes necessary to thin out the saplings so that others might grow healthy and strong.

As I gaze out my window, there is a tree that the utility companies have butchered, yet as I look down at the base of that tree, there are a number of saplings growing, and in good time that parient tree will have to give way so that one of those saplings might become a mature tree.

I personally have no objections to any group planting new trees provided the trees are suited to our region, and they take proper care of them until they have become established, but all too often these same well meaning folks plant trees then leave them to their own to grow, and that is not the way to do it.

These newly planted trees need proper care ... at least on a weekly bases until they are established or they die, and time, energy and money has been wasted.

Youngstownshrimp

Why does Youngstown need to be reforested, do native trees not replenish themselves and need to be replanted, or do they replenish naturally? 
Before you answer, please educate yourselves.

Billy Mumphrey

Date is Saturday, March 23 from 7-10pm at the UU Church across from Wick Park.
Attention to those who love trees and want to see the continued reforestation of Youngstown. This is our "funraiser" and it is a celebration of trees and great fun, great food and great friends... And a blind chocolate taste test. Music, Silent and Chinese Auctions and of course our 3rd observance of "Earth Hour" with candlelight and poetry...
Don't forget--tickets in advance are only $20. Pretty good for two glasses of wine, The Guilty Pleasures, finger foods, 10 kinds of organic/fair trade chocolate, and all those kindred spirits! And candlelight and poetry at 8:30 to celebrate Earth Hour.