News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Big Game, UHS vs CMHS - Friday, October 19

Started by jay, October 19, 2012, 06:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

irishbobcat

After winning back to back state titles and because they are independents, Mooney had trouble scheduling 10 games this year,
Most local public schools refuse to schedule them because they recruit.

jay

According to a radio sports guy, Ursuline will make the play-offs.  Mooney probably will not.

Question
If Ursuline is 6-3 and Mooney is 3-5, why did Mooney only play 8 games so far this year?

Towntalk

FLASH ... Ursuline Beats Mooney 44 - 24

Ursuline overcame a 10-point deficit to beat Mooney for the 3rd straight year, 44-24.

Mooney took a 3-0 lead when Zak Kennedy kicked a 42-yard field goal.  The Cardinals increased it's lead to 10-0 when Justus Ellis-Moore found the end zone from 15-yards out.  The touchdown followed a muffed punt recovery by Mooney.

Ursuline answered, and cut the lead to 10-7 on a five-yard touchdown run by Chris Durkin.  The Irish was 70 yards, taking 2:15 off the clock. 

On the ensuing kickoff, Mark Handel returned the ball to the Cards 47-yard line.  The next play saw Ellis-Moore run the ball to Irish eight-yard line, setting up first and goal for the Cardinals.  On the first play of the second quarter, Ellis-Moore scored his 2nd touchdown of the game, on a nine-yard touchdown run, giving Mooney a 17-7 lead.

The Irish cut Mooney's lead to 17-14 when Durkin found the end zone for the 2nd time on the night.  It was a two-yard touchdown run with 6:57 remaining in the half.

Ursuline took it's first lead of the game, 20-17, with 2:31 remaining in the half, when Chris Durkin scored his 3rd rushing touchdown of the game, this one from 13 yards out.  The extra point was no good.

Ursuline increased it's lead to 23-17 just before halftime, when Vince Yurcho kicked a 21-yard field goal.

The Irish held the upper hand in total yardage in the first half, 244 yards to Mooney's 129 yards.  Durkin had 11 carries and three scores in the first half, while Mooney's Ellis-Moore had 96 yards on 13 carries with two scores. 

The Irish, and Durkin, picked up where they left off in the first half.  Ursuline took the opening kickoff of the 2nd half, and drove 67 yards, taking 7:30 off the clock.  The drive was capped off by a one-yard touchdown run by Chris Durkin, his 4th touchdown of the night.  The extra point was blocked, giving Ursuline a 29-17 lead.

Tramain Thigpen stepped up for the Irish in the 4th quarter.  First, Thigpen intercepted a Mooney pass, then he found the end zone from three-yards out.  The Irish converted a two-point conversion, on a pass from Durkin to Tannor Berry, giving Ursuline a 37-17 lead.

Mooney cut the lead to a two-touchdown game, 37-24, when Jon Saadey found paydirt from 24-yards out.  The Cards attempted the onside kick, but it was recovered by Ursuline's Thigpen.

The Irish got the ball back with 2:57 remaining, and scored one more time, on a 15-yard touchdown run by Damon Green, giving Ursuline it's final lead of 44-24.

Ursuline had 356 total yards of offense, compared to Mooney's 287 yards.  Justus Ellis-Moore was the Cardinals leading rusher with 118 yards on 16 carries and two touchdowns.  Chris Durkin led the Ursuline offense with 121 yards on 18 carries and four touchdowns. 

On the passing side, Jon Saadey led Mooney 99 yards on a 5-8 passing night.  Durkin led the Irish with 56 yards on a 4-7 night. 

Ursuline improves to 6-3 on the year, and will travel to face SVSM in week 10. 

Mooney drops to 3-5 and will travel to Austintown Fitch next Friday.

iwasthere

Quote from: irishbobcat on October 19, 2012, 07:42:25 AM
Ursuline...big time in a romp....No cigars and champagne for the Cardinals this year....
this did not stopped the altarboys hitting the altar wine last yr when they won st champ

kenneyjoe330

Quote from: kenneyjoe330 on October 19, 2012, 03:21:04 PM
I heard  :-X that the open land on the corner of Tippy and Western Reserve could be/was given to them for the school.  I also heard that all the pros and cons will be discussed.  Personally I think allot of people think that Mooney is not in a good location and do not like coming into "that" area from lets say Canfield or Poland.  Mooney has purchased a lot of land around the area and has an entrance and exit on East Indianola Avenue.  I also believe they bought land for a track and practice field.  I don't think it would cost near as much to buy up most of the land in the area and add some 'stuff' to the old building than build a whole new school.  But IF the money is there and the push is there then it sure will win out  :laugh:  If you consider the potential growth of Mahoning County Tippy and WR is the place to be  :laugh:
I love the view from there

kenneyjoe330

I heard  :-X that the open land on the corner of Tippy and Western Reserve could be/was given to them for the school.  I also heard that all the pros and cons will be discussed.  Personally I think allot of people think that Mooney is not in a good location and do not like coming into "that" area from lets say Canfield or Poland.  Mooney has purchased a lot of land around the area and has an entrance and exit on East Indianola Avenue.  I also believe they bought land for a track and practice field.  I don't think it would cost near as much to buy up most of the land in the area and add some 'stuff' to the old building than build a whole new school.  But IF the money is there and the push is there then it sure will win out  :laugh:  If you consider the potential growth of Mahoning County Tippy and WR is the place to be  :laugh:

Towntalk

Speaking of Mooney what new about the talk of them moving out of the city? True or false? Maby yes, maby no?

jay

There used to be a City Series Championship in Youngstown.

With only one public high school, I guess this game determines the City Champion.

irishbobcat

Ursuline...big time in a romp....No cigars and champagne for the Cardinals this year....

jay

Friday, October 19, 7:00 p.m.
at Stambaugh Stadium

Cardinal Mooney vs Ursuline

Any Prediction?