News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Saloon downtown

Started by Towntalk, July 09, 2012, 11:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

On the Square there were 3 saloons back in the day and at least three on each block of East Federal from the square all the way to Andrews Avenue.

irishbobcat

maybe if all the saloons were confined to a four block area that could be a good thing? lol.......

Towntalk

Don't get me wrong ... if some Joe, Sam or Harry wants to open a saloon downtown, more power to them ... downtown Youngstown always did have more of its share of saloons forever, so its just some of the same old.

irishbobcat

While we would all like to see a downtown like the one we had back in the 1940's-60's, we should embrace  business returning to downtown even if it is only restaurants and pubs...many cities like Cleveland have entertainment districts like the Flats which have helped draw people.  If downtown can be developed into a "classy" entertainment area, that could be the start of a good thing. But if the area begins to have big time problems with the folks who frequent there, then by all means we should go in another direction. Just my thoughts...that an
75 cents can get you a senior coffee at Micky-D's...

Towntalk

. (Business / Commerce) (Miscellaneous Technologies / Brewing) Chiefly Brit a building with a bar and one or more public rooms licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic drink, often also providing light meals Formal name public house

Towntalk

Pub ... Saloon ... Beer Garden ... what's the difference ... it's six of one and half dozen of another ... they all serve booze and bar food. Folks go there for booze, not buttermilk or ice cream sundies.

northside lurker

Wouldn't this be a new pub?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

Ron, I had no doubt that you would allow fracking on your property in Poland Township.....carry on.....

Youngstownshrimp

Irishbob, good idea.  There is not any acreage in the Village but I do have acreage  in Poland township. No... I leased some of them and they maybe fracking it soon.

Youngstownshrimp

Funny you say that Towntalk, our company leased and secured a lot of money for Youngstown landowners such as Gleaners, Papa's , Hanni's, etc. But I have not leased the shrimp lands.  Yes they did find "Black Gold" under Youngstown but I am one who doesn't worship nor want to be Trump.  What I really want is our community where we live to be prosperous again, it is what my military family always believed in.
BTW, through the years I respect what you post and can see a good spirit in you.

irishbobcat

If Ron is indeed moving to Poland, I am sure the village fathers will have no problem with him
digging ponds and raising shrimp there....

Towntalk

Sorry to hear that Ron, but who knows, maby the land is an untapped gold mine that could put you in league with the Tod's; Wick"s; and Andrews in terms of wealth. Then you could snub your nose at those in City Hall who've been giving you grief lo these many years as they stumble from beer garden to another getting drunk as skunks.

Youngstownshrimp

Can't call me Shrimp anymore Towntalk, "I fought the law and the law won."  No shrimp in the ponds this year, only outside of Youngstown in Ellsworth are prawns being grown.  I'll just have them frack the land, what else can you do with it?

Towntalk

Point taken Shrimp, and a good one at that.

Pretty soon all that we'll have downtown are saloons, fry cook eateries, and a couple of high rise apartment buildings with a few other types of stores tossed in, but ain't that great? At least Andy Capp will have a good choice of saloons to go to to get plastered before he goes and falls into the Mahoning river on his way home to Flo.

Youngstownshrimp

Keep the bars rolling in, history tells us that during times of economic collapse, alcohol sales spike up.