News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Have You Had Your Serving Of....

Started by jay, March 15, 2012, 06:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

SEND A VERY CLEAR MESSAGE TO ALL THE EATERIES IN YOUNGSTOWN THAT YOU WILL REFUSE TO SPEND A SINGLE PENNY AT THEIR ESTABLISHMENT SO LONG AS THEY SERVE ANY DISH WITH GROUND BEEF. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Boneless lean beef trimmings refers to an industrial product created from beef trimmings using particular processes; these products are occasionally referred to using the neologism pink slime. These processes, which include meat trimmings passing through a centrifuge, and (in the most common process) being exposed to ammonia gas, have drawn attention as the subject of possible health and consumer concerns. The term pink slime was coined by Dr. Gerald Zirnstein to refer to the resulting products.
A 2012 ABC News investigative report indicated that the USDA has received, but concealed information indicating that 70 percent of ground beef (beef mince) contains the substance, and that the USDA has allowed the substance to go unlabeled at the objection of its own scientists. A 2008 Washington Post article suggested that the pink slime content of most beef patties containing the substance approaches 25%.
These trimmings are sold in the US to food companies which use it as filler in beef products. Most is produced and sold by Cargill Meat Solutions and Beef Products, Inc. The lean beef sold by BPI has become known for increasing the pH of the beef trimmings by adding ammonium hydroxide to destroy pathogens such as E. coli and Salmonella, while the Cargill product uses antimicrobial treatments that lower the pH.
    But that's not all! See, the problem when you turn garbage bits of animal carcasses into "pink slime" to sell as a food product is that there's an issue with pathogens, such as E. coli. And when samples of the pink slime were tested, the tests came back showing that the slime was rampant with harmful bacteria. Now, one might think that the best idea would be to decide not to sell pink slime to feed to humans, but there's no money in that, is there? So BPI cleverly started disinfecting the slime with ammonia. And convinced the FDA to allow them to list it as a "processing ingredient" so that we wouldn't know we were eating ammonia.

We're eating garbage, people. Literally -- garbage that's been "cleaned up" with ammonia and sold to us mixed with ground beef, shrink wrapped for convenience at our local megamart.

jay

When I first heard this term, I thought they were talking about "meat glue."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXrB3rz-xU

irishbobcat

Nope...not yet today I think......

Where can I get some? Is Rulli Brothers having a sale today?

jay

Have you had your serving of pink slime today?

We all have to watch what additives are being placed in our food.