News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wind Turbine Working In Trumbull County, Who Needs Fracking?

Started by irishbobcat, March 05, 2012, 06:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago listening to the Shale Show on WKBN.    I'll be calling.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,

I totally forgot to tell you, Hilcorp has leased land next door to the museum and across the street, call me for their number, it is $5000 bonus an acre and 20%.  You get the check in 90 banking days, sorry I forgot your property months ago.

irishbobcat

Rick:

All I'm asking is that people should look into "green" options if it indeed makes more
economic sense than investing in dirty energy alternatives.

Good luck in your venture.

sfc_oliver

You're right I'm not really surprised. Though I didn't expect half a million bird deaths per year.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

Rick Rowlands

It might surprise you Dennis, but I'm looking into installing a completely solar and wind powered electrical generation system for the Tod Engine Heritage Park.  I don't want to tie into the grid at all if I can avoid it.  Since we are not on site every day such a system would have sufficient time to recharge, and our single phase electrical demands are mainly lighting.  I can install LED floodlights and probably only need 200 to 300 watts of power to make the same amount of illumination that we are getting from about 1500 watts worth of HID lighting in place now.   The power to charge the batteries would be provided by solar panels placed on the roof of the building and maybe a small wind turbine on the peak of the roof.    I'm not doing this to be "green", but rather because in our situation it makes more economic sense and would avoid a perpetual electric bill.

We will still need large amounts of 480VAC 3 phase and 250VDC from time to time, and this power would be generated by one of the diesel engines on our display locomotive.   I may even look into biodiesel for it, but that is of course depending upon cost. 

I anticipate applying for a private grant to pay for the electrical installation, but will not apply for any government sponsored incentives or grants.  As has been my policy for the past 20 years, what we do will be done by people who voluntarily participate.  No coercion will be employed in the construction of our museum.

sfc_oliver

It won't be long some environmental group will be complaining about the birds flying into the blades.............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Rick Rowlands

These windmills only provide about 30% of the electrical energy needed by that one farm.  The other 70% still has to be produced by fossil fuels.  Due to the closure of coal powered plants, increasingly that electricity will have to be produced by natural gas.  That increased production is only possible through the use of fracking.   So your argument is nonsensical and falls flat on its face.

Wind power can have its place, as illustrated here.  It is a supplement only and not a replacement.  You want to see it as a replacement which is not possible.

irishbobcat

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/mar/05/tall-turbines-send-energy-costs-falling/

How about that?  A green technology lowering energy costs without destroying the land and water
around it like fracking.

Green is the way to go....so why do we still need to travel down the dirty road towards polluting our water
and land with the toxic chemicals used in fracking?

Are the pro fracking lovers so blind that they can not see the benefits of going green?