News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Henry Kirtland Wick's Alnwick Mansion

Started by AllanY2525, April 14, 2011, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilbo

"Does anyone know if Alnwick is still standing? "

It is not. I live in this area for a few years now and am curious as to remnants.  I believe that the Ursuline nuns sold off the property in sections until the mansion was the last to sell. The Academy houses were primarily developed in the early 1950s and as you get closer to Stonnington, the houses are rather newer construction. The Mansion would have encompassed the frontage area north of Ravine Drive on Logan Ave and went up to the properties just south of Churchill (Sr 304)  I'm not sure how far north the boundary was but I'd say that at least Virginia Trail. It would have included the property of these roads such as Wildfern, Redfern, Virginia Trail and the mansion structure would have been inside the Stonnington Drive circle . I believe that the only remnants may be a few stone walls and a partial double line of sycamore trees lining the mansion's driveway  heading up the north side of Ravine (in the backyards of properties on Wildfern) and then at the intersection of Wildfern and Stonnington, up the north side of Stonnington towards the circle.

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

Blush ... Blush ... Blush
[/b]

I'll be happy to do some research into it.

Youngstownshrimp

I know I am off topic, but you two seem to have more historical knowledge than anyone, any help on YS & T  housing will be appreciated.

Towntalk

The Logan Rd. mansion became the Ursuline Motherhouse until they moved to Canfield. The mansion was demolished by a developer who purchased the land to build a crackerbox housing development.

AllanY2525

I've added a new page to the Historic Homes section of the website, for H.K. Wick's
"Alnwick" mansion.  Henry K. Wick moved to this mansion from his former residence on
Wick Avenue circa 1914.

The house took almost four years to build.  Towntalk pointed me to a Vindy feature
article about the mansion on Google's news archives - dated February 22, 1914.
I've also scrounged up several other photos of the mansion's exterior from various
sources, including "the Ohio Architect, Engineer and Builder" magazine.

Originally, I was confused about the location of the mansion off the Logan Road,
because I was unaware that H.K. Wick had two different residences.

Does anyone know if Alnwick is still standing?  The article mentions that the mansion
faces the Mahoning Country Club (probably the SECOND country club - the first
was in what is now the North Heights neighborhood, when the land belonged
to Cynthia Bissell Wick).

This house is/was probably one of the most fabulous mansions in the area in its
time.