News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Homeless

Started by jay, January 10, 2011, 06:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

connie254

And yet you forget what is says in the Bible, especially the New Testament?
The person you talked to, who had personal knowledge if a crime is the one who should call the police, that is if it actually happened.

Rick Rowlands

What point would it be to call the police?  I have no names, no proof, and what I heard would be dismissed as hearsay. 

So because I don't condone scamming a government program I am somehow cold and heartless.  I believe in the rule of law, but apparently you believe in the ends justify the means.  The values I have are those old pesky values that Americans once cherished. Rugged individualism, work hard to get ahead, don't take what isn't yours.  You might remember some people who felt that way long before it became in vogue to just take what you want from others. 

connie254

And if you have knowledge of it, report it to the authorities. Allowing it to happen and not doing something just makes it worse. Is there something that you are trying to avoid by calling the police?

Shrimpie, you can't stop demeaning people who don't see things your way. You can dish it out by the buckets. 

Stewie, it is becoming meaningless to discuss anything with Shrimpie, Rick and their buds. They don't and won't care about anyone but themselves. Caring for others is way beneath them. Lie I said in another post. the rules and laws are meant for other people not them. They are cold, heartless, and devoid of any values but their own. Hopefuly, they are never down on their luck that they would have to take assistance from the government, but then they deserve it, just not anyone else.

Youngstownshrimp

It's obvious how dense Connie is, we have a direction card machine in our store.  The scam as Rick says is very SIMPLE, anyone with a card who wants cash, you simply go shopping with them.  What ever they buy that you want you give them 50cent on da dolla.

Rick Rowlands

Stewie, please reread my posts yourself.  Is it cold and heartless to simply restate something that I was told earlier this week?  Is not selling off a Directions card for money scamming the taxpayers?  I think you are reading more into my posts than what the words are saying based upon your own preconceived notions about what I believe in and what my political affiliation is.  I did not state, nor did I imply that it was somehow wrong for a homeless person to eat at a shelter.  I do not know where you pulled that out of, but that thought did not emanate from my words.

stewie

Rick,
I propose a challenge to you.  From your home take only what you can carry on your back.  Take no money.  I will give you a debit card with $86 on it.  Spend 1 month on the streets of downtown.  You are free to stay at the homeless shelters if you wish.  Or you can sleep on the streets. You are free to go anywhere you want to get a free lunch.  Or you can be honest and not "scam" the taxpayers and live on that $86 dollars.  After 1 month you may go home. But you must come back on this forum and re read this thread.  If after re reading this you do not feel like a complete ass for typing the cold heartless comments about homeless people i will totally agree with you.

Rick Rowlands

Yep you are off topic Allan,  I am speaking of the homeless, not the working poor.

Connie, you grossly underestimate the abilities of people to scam the system.

connie254

Here's a flaw in the homeless/using Direction Card for someone theory.

You must have an actual mailing address. The govt will not send it to a homeless shelter. I know they check if that person actually lives there (utility bills/rental agreement/etc in their name). The computer system picks up what it can and cannot be used for- just be behind someone in line at the store who uses one and watch or hear the payment conversation totals.

When they used to have food stamps it was easier to abuse. There will always be flaws in the system, no matter what.
If anyone thinks homeless shelters is an easy way to live and get "3 hots and a cot", volunteer at one.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on January 13, 2011, 01:40:01 PM
You can if the shelters are feeding you three squares a day.  The 86 bucks turns into spending money.

Oh wow... you're right  - that $86.00 should take care of the rent, gas, water, electric, clothing and anything else that person needs just fine...   I was talking about the working poor here...people who pay taxes and are giving, not just taking..

forgive me if I went off topic..

Rick Rowlands

You can if the shelters are feeding you three squares a day.  The 86 bucks turns into spending money.

AllanY2525

$86.00 a month?  I don't think I could make it on $21.50 a week worth of groceries

One of the problems the area is facing is under-employment , ie: the working poor who have
jobs but aren't making enough to get by

connie254

A single person may only get $86 a month for food.  That makes it awfully tight.

Rick Rowlands

I was talking with someone a couple of days ago that knows the scam.  One of the churches in Youngstown serves lunches to the homeless starting at 11 am.  The rescue mission serves lunch at 12:30.  So the homeless, many of whom stay at the mission, walk down to the church at 11 to eat, then hike back up to the mission at 12:30 for the second course.  These people are also getting the Directions Card from Ohio for food.  But since their bellies are full, some will sell their card for 50 cents on the dollar.  The cardholder will go to the store with the buyer, and purchase whatever food the buyer wants.  The buyer then gives 50% of that amount to the cardholder, and presto, the Ohio taxpayers have just been scammed!

Youngstownshrimp

Why are there so many food banks and fund raisers for food for the needy when everyone on welfare has a food "credit card?"

Towntalk

The group home problem on the North Side has been a problem for quite a while now and the city has done little to resolve it.

Why is it that folks seem to feel that all the group homes should be located on the North Side?