News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Breaking Ward Controversy News

Started by Towntalk, September 11, 2014, 01:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i hrd mah cty boe will meet in a special meeting on monday to correct the words on these adm to put on the nov. ballot.

AllanY2525

I was a bit confused before, thanks for clarifying things Towntalk (and others....).

Sounds like they were just making sure that the issue went on the ballot, regardless
of the number of signatures.......would probably be best if the two items were combined
into a single proposal, so as to eliminate any confusion.

Nice to see Democracy in action.

Towntalk

SEE REPLY #14 OF THIS THREAD  WHERE TOWNTALK GAVE THE CORRECT ANSWER BLESS HER WITTLE OL' HEART.

jay

QuoteWho sponsored these two documents that were destined for the Board of Elections?

Answer

ORD-14-285     DRENNEN & RAY

ORD-14-288     MAYOR McNALLY

Towntalk

And I respect you, my friend. What we are sharing is democracy in action, being done in the proper way, by heated debate, the circulation of petitions. Once the last vote has been counted, and the decision has been made, I just hope that whatever side wins, that we can join hands to work together for a better Youngstown, because in the final analysis, it is the committed private sector who will take the city forward, and not City Council.

PD

Iwasthere is right and the word they are stalling on means nothing to the amendment.  It will be on the November ballot TT. I'm sorry, I know your not for this but i respect you for that. Everyone has their own vote

Towntalk

Toss both out ... Go after it again in the next primary and go over it with a fine tooth comb to guarintee that it is 100% perfect ... problem solved.

iwasthere

the ytown boe are stumbling over two words enact  in one petition and the other word is amend in the other petition that is causing the problem.

Towntalk

On Tuesday, city council voted 6-1 on two ordinances with the same language regarding having the ward-reduction charter amendment on the Nov. 4 ballot.One, sponsored by Ray and Drennen, had council back the amendment, which allows the issue on the ballot without the need for petitions.The other, sponsored by McNally, permitted the board of elections to count signatures.With Tuesday's votes, the proposal automatically gets on the ballot, said Law Director Martin Hume. - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/sep/04/proposal-will-be-on-ballot/#sthash.ylfIkC6X.dpuf

PD

Both were sent up under advisement from the law director. 

jay

Check the City Council minutes.

Who sponsored these two documents that were destined for the Board of Elections?

Towntalk

And the choir said a loud amen.

Peggy Gurney

aww geeze, just put the damn thing on the ballot and let the VOTERS decide.  Enough of this already!

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

OK. But now, suppose both are on the ballot and the vote ends in a tie? Suppose the 7 ward group prevails? Would the 5 ward group take the outcome into the courts in order to invalidate the results and in the process disfranchise those who voted the wrong way? Or would they look to the next election, and educate the voters via newspaper articles, TV interviews and Talk Radio interviews on WKBN 570?

PD

Just sue if none of them get put on.