News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Helping The Poor

Started by Towntalk, March 03, 2011, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Because we as a country are being defunded by the Global financial system, corporate welfare is being abolished as well as public welfare.  The trouble in our country today is the outcry against defunding, there really is nothing one can fight against when the golden goose has not laid an egg for awhile now.

Rick Rowlands

Corporate welfare is another undesirable aspect of government, and part of the Republican platform that I do not subscribe to.  I'm afraid that since we've replaced the word "freedom" with the word "jobs" as the first priority of government we can expect the corporate welfare to continue, disguised as supporting job creation, job retention, job job job blah blah blah.  It really gets under my skin to hear a politician say the word "jobs" twenty times in a one minute speech, but never utter the words "freedom" or "liberty".

My posts may make me sound as if I have a lack of concern or respect for the poor/ economically disadvantaged, but that really is not true.  I just happen to follow the creed of "teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime".  I also believe that once an individual does for himself and creates his or her own wealth that they should be able to keep it.  There are numerous times when I've helped people in need get back on their feet.  There is a particular young man who I am helping right now in a couple of substantial ways to pull himself up out of a bad situation he was in.

kenneyjoe330

Mr. Rolands - quite true about our "entitlement culture" and to me this INCLUDES 'CORPORATE WELFARE' and what entitlements they expect to recieve.  Sloth and greed have been with us for a long time - what I fear most is the INDIFFERENCE which abouds coupled with the lack of concern and respect for others makes for very troubled times. 

Rick Rowlands

Yes the entitlement culture has been created since 1915.  Now the poor just wants handouts without working for them.  Make them work for their government money!

kenneyjoe330

This is nonnegotiable ? ? ?  Our elected officials can't bring this to the "table" ? ? ?  Have NEVER brought it to the table ?  Under extraordinary circumstances this can not be implemented ? ? ?  Do you want to know someting - maybe you don't know - things have changed since 1915 - PLEASE - give me a break ! ! !

Rick Rowlands

Public employee unions prohibit the hiring the unemployed at minimum wage to join road gangs or cleanup details in the city.   

Towntalk

How were the poor and needy helped in times past? This article from 2/21/1915 gives us a good picture of how to do things the right way.

2/21/1915
How The Poor Were Helped In 1915
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=A6hIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=i4EMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1634%2C4283784