News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

George Renner

Started by Towntalk, February 23, 2011, 06:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Ernest C. Deibel married Miss Elizabeth Renner.

AllanY2525

The Renner and Deibel families were tied together by marriage.. I can't remember
which Renner married which Deibel, though...

Towntalk

I goofed. Once I found the Vindy article it turns out that it was Emil J. Renner, not George. The source that I based the quiz on was in error.

The answer though was the Dome Theatre and the Rex Theatre.

Emil was in partnership with C. W. Deibel.

AllanY2525

Here is a photo from NOV 1907, and an article from the Society  pages of the
Vindicator regarding the Renner Mansion.

In 1936, about a year after George J. Renner Jr. died, a man named Ross bought the
mansion and split it up into apartments - as we see it today.  The house was referred
to as the "Ross Mansion" during this period of ownership.

Esther Hamilton wrote an article in the Vindicator in the early 1970's which stated that
George Renner was at the construction site almost every day while the house was
being built (which took over a year), making sure that everything was being done
according to his wishes.  Albert F. Judd was the architect - he had offices in the
Renner block downtown.

Renner had his hands into real estate, in addition to his other businesses.

The now-missing three-panel, stained glass window that used to be on the
Mezzanine of the main staircase was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany himself.
It was stolen in the 1970's while the house was in the hands of Harry Arroyo, the
former championship boxer - who had a land contract on the place, which fell
through.  It was during this period when the house was stripped of most of the
antiquities that used to be in it.

It now resides at the Smith Stained Glass museum at Navy Pier in Chicago.  The
window was entitled "The flight of the Soul", and depicted religious themes.

I had an email conversation with the curator of the stained glass museum a
couple of years ago and asked him to send me some photos, but the glass is
so thick that they never found a way to illuminate it from behind with enough
light to make decent photos possible.  The glass is almost two inches thick, from
what I've heard.

The third picture is a photograph of Mr. Renner's old residence on the now
extinct Pike Street, before he became a wealthy man.

Towntalk

I'll beat Allen to this one. The mansion you speak of was indeed built by George Renner and Allen has a lot of pictures of it on his Allthingsyoungstown web site.

At one time YSU owned the home and it was for its president.

Allan also has a pile of pictures of the brewery ruins on his web site.

I'll try to find the copy of the Vindicator that had an article about the mansion because I know that there was a rather detailed article about it.

But to get back to the question: what two businesses did George have on West Federal Street that had nothing to do with beer?

Youngstownshrimp

In my store I have a collection of Renner bottles.  I believe the Renners built the house on Park (Mansion).

Here is a little story, I manage land for a lot of old Youngstown families who inherited parcels.  I was asked to look into a parcel that was on old Pike street, this project was different because it was not a title but a note that I was to figure out.  Apparently a local big contractor had title to this parcel but discovered that there was an old note (mortgage) and it was held by the late Senator Lipscher heirs from Youngstown.  This note was unknown and never serviced  for decades, the contractor wanted to pay the heirs a few thousand and they asked me what did I think.  Of course I went into bird dog mode and discovered that the parcel was not a tiny lot that we were told but three acres and that the parcel was the old Renner's brewery parcel.  I was able to pay my Temple dues recently  :).

FYI, I always thought the Renners were Jewish because on one of their bottles is a star of David, the Lipscher heirs tell me they were catholic, the use to rent from the Renners.

Towntalk

The two businesses were very popular in their day with the public. One even made Youngstown history.

Clue: We've discussed a building near one of the businesses in this forum that has been in the news lately.

AllanY2525

Towntalk

George did own a couple of downtown buildings but that's not the answer to the quiz.

AllanY2525

Was one of them real estate.. and the other heavy machinery of some kind (not brewery eqipment)  ?

Towntalk

Mention George Renner and you naturally think of beer, but our Mr. Renner had other business interests two of which were located on West Federal Street, now its up to you to name these two businesses.