News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Seventh Ward Question

Started by jay, August 15, 2010, 08:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The West Side Citizens' Coalition posted the K-9 Unit fundraiser information on March 15 about three weeks before the event.

http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=7799.0

kenneyjoe330

There are a few residents of Lansingville that were, and probably still are, willing to pitch in a few dollars to hire a Youngstown Police Officer to walk around the several blocks of our fair neighborhood.  I had the opportunity to ask Chief Hughes about doing this type of patrol.  I said it would be like hiring a police office to keep the peace if I had a party - like a wedding - at say the Byzantine Center on Shady Run Road and served drinks - that is suppose to be the responsible 'thing to do' is it not ?  He asked "What would they do?".  I told him just walk around Lansingville for a few hours and let people know that "their music is too loud",  their "trash" shouldn't be out until Sunday evening,  they should have a "some sort of pooper scooper" if they are walking their dog and perhaps curve some of the common drug activity just by walking down the street in their uniform.  The first few times I would expect no citations or tickets - however I would want to keep track of "what the officer said to who about what" so about the THIRD time "the process would begin".   If you could have seen the expression on his face concurrent with the "cover up" of the said expression - very interesting.  It was like he bit into an extremely sour pickle but tyred to "cover it up" with a "that wasn't so bad" expression.  I think he was thinking if he had been asked to do the assignment he would not like it consequently he wouldn't want any of his officers to do the assignment.  Although he didn't like the idea - if I had the $ I think I would give him a run for it ($) !

Hay Jay - are you holding back on us by not letting us know when these YPD K-9 Unit findraisers are ?  Ya know I am getting old and try my darnest to keep up with you "whipper snappers" ! ! !

jay

Residents of the west side are the only people holding fundraisers to support the YPD K-9 Unit.  The dogs are used at locations all over the city.

john r. swierz

I would guess that there would have to be a MOU between the Police Chief and 7WCC to allow and off duty YPD officer to patrol the 7th Ward in addition to the existing car 204. It would probavly be a legal challenge at best.

jay

From
A Renaissance for Whom? Youngstown and its Neighborhoods

QuoteRecently, for example, blockwatch leaders in Brownlee Woods have floated the idea of taxing themselves in order to pay for more policing.

How would seventh ward residents do this?