News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Need help on historical Youngstown item

Started by Mary_Krupa, May 30, 2010, 08:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john r. swierz

There are 3 streets of YS&T apts on the Struters side, 5th st, 4th st, ?  . They are mostly rented out. The man that was recently beat up lived in one of them

Towntalk

Housing Developments of Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co.—The Buckeye Land Co., a subsidiary of The Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co., is engaged in two housing developments at the present time. One of these, a tract of 219 acres on the south side of the Mahoning River, will be divided into approximately 1,000 lots, of very irregular shape and size on account of the winding streets to which the gently rolling surface naturally adapts itself.
The property being outside the limits of Youngstown, makes it necessary for the company to arrange for all domestic services. There are now 100 detached frame dwellings under construction, the first of which should be ready for occupancy early next spring. The houses average 26 ft. square in size, are mostly full 2-story, and will be equipped with bathrooms and hot air furnaces. These properties will be sold to employes of the Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. on easy terms, not yet determined.

Engineering and Contracting – Vol. 49 Pg. 414  - 1918

john r. swierz

I mentioned that house and it looks the same today minus the garage.  The stately houses that were built on Mt. Vernon were built for the Germans that can here to build the new blast furnaces at YS&T

Towntalk

A photograph of the Buckeye Land Company Office in Youngstown, Ohio, ca. 1910-1919. The Buckeye Land Company, a subsidiary of Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company, provided housing for Youngstown Sheet and Tube employees. Organized by James A. Campbell, Youngstown Sheet and Tube appropriated $250,000 for the project in May 1916. Eventually the company would complete four housing developments: Blackburn Plat, Overlook Plat, Highview Plat, and Loveland Farms. These neighborhoods not only provided the steelworkers and their families affordable and modern housing but they also provided them with a sense of community.

Towntalk

Mary if this is the place, it was owned by the Buckeye Land Co. A part of the Youngstown Sheet and Tube.

john r. swierz

I lived at 1761 S. Heights for a while in the 80's , I rented  from the Gorvets and they told me that their house was once the land development office for the housing developers in that area.  The brick house that Harry Strabala lives in on Mt Vernon was the  the land development offices for Buckeye plat

john r. swierz

Mary, there is a similar type of house on Gibson and E. Indianola Ave. I wonder if that could be another one of these offices

Towntalk

Mary, the Y&S streetcar ran on Southern Blvd. and looking at the Sanborn map for 1928 1762 E. Midlothian Boulevard is listed as an office but it doesn't say what office.

A city directory for 1928 should help identify that building.

AllanY2525

You might want do do a title search on the deed to this property.
A title search would show all of the owners over the years.  The
county court house will have the plat maps for the parcel that
the structure sits on.

I checked the Mahoning County Auditor's site, but the street
address is not listed when searching by address so I didn't find
the parcel number for the lot.  You could use the GIS map
system to find the house visually, then get the parcel number
from the photographic map.

Towntalk

Mary, that sounds like it belonged to the Youngstown & Southern. I looked through my files to see if I could find a picture that showed a group of people waiting to board a streetcar, but I couldn't find it, but the Main branch may be able to help you. I do know that they had a route out that way going to Boardman.

Mary_Krupa

The 7th Ward Citizens Coalition, Inc. is trying to find out the history of the house at 1762 E. Midlothian Boulevard. One of our older residents said that it was a trolley ticket house. The house is very tiny and is at the intersection of Midlothian and Sheridan. Right across from it is the No. 9 fire station.

We contacted the Mahoning Valley Historical Society which did a search but did not come up with anything. Subsequently, another resident said that the house may have been moved from its original spot.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Mary
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."