News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Is Liberty Township Becoming Another Youngstown?

Started by jay, April 25, 2018, 10:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Racially Balanced.

I wonder how the government of any size defines that. I'm sure the racial balance of the whole country is whatever it is.

I believe the racial balance of each state varies somewhat for the most part but varies quite substantially when some states are compared to others. Cities and/or counties vary a lot too.

Then there's the issue of what is being considered a race. When I was a kid there seemed like only two races, white and black, then it seemed to make sense that Asians were a race of their own and that might have always been a race just never mentioned to us kids or our families. I wonder if all Asians are the same race. I'm pretty sure the Philippines is in Asia but their people are no where near as white as the Japanese.  Then it's only been a couple of years since I heard about Mexican being a race. They have always seemed as white as I am.  Oops I just remembered the Indians...I mean the Native Americans...now wait a minute, Native Caucasians can't be Native Americans even when they're both born here.  Crazy Crazy Crazy.

The damn school is just trying to make sure it gets paid for all the kids that could go there including those that decide to go somewhere else. Boo friggin' hoo for the BOE. The money they receive must be so much more important to them than making sure whoever teaches a kid gets paid.

+ Attachments and other options

Irishbobcat

The law was put in to keep school districts as racially balanced a possible. White students from Coitsville Township were not allowed to leave Youngstown and be annexed by Struthers or Lowellville Schools in years gone by.

Why?Town

So now that I know you are right, I guess I should now accept that the law allows people to be treated differently because of their skin color.

What a wonderful government we really don't seem to have.

Don't take this as being against you Irishbobcat, I question every side of government that doesn't make sense.

Irishbobcat

I am right. Was only in education for 25 years and a school board member for 8 years.

Why?Town

Well JoyceFarrell,

I didn't realize what you posted came from the BOE. I just thought you were trying to make a little fun of the BOE because it started out saying why they want it and finished by saying why they won't want it. These facts make the BOE seem even sillier than someone else adding the end.

Irishbobcat,

I didn't realize the law allowed people to be treated differently because of their skin color. You could be right, I really don't know.

Regardless, anyone born in the USA, is a native of America. Anyone born in Germany, is a native of Germany. Etc, Etc... So I guess someone would have to be born in Liberty to be considered a native of Liberty. There can't be too many of them in existence considering no hospital, including Northside Hospital (or whatever it's called now) is in Liberty and nobody still gives birth at home on purpose.

And come to think of it, the house I grew up in was in Liberty but it, and about a dozen others near it, were actually in the Girard school system so that's where I went. They probably are still in the Girard school system considering about an 1/8 of a mile from where I grew up, the new Girard High School was built on property that was annexed from Liberty.

Irishbobcat

This is the law. School districts have this right. One only has to look at how white flight has affected Youngstown Schools over the decades....And this is not intended to be a racist statement....

JoyceFarrell

That was the resolution of the Liberty Township BOE. I personally take no position one way or the other since I do not live either in Liberty Township or Girard.

Why?Town

JoyceFarrell, are you a retired, or maybe current lawyer of some sort?
:-* :-*

While the whole idea of Liberty trying to pull this off at all is totally ridiculous, your amendment seems very well written.

JoyceFarrell

WHEREAS, the Liberty Local School District is objecting to the aggressive open enrollment of students to the Girard City Schools;
WHEREAS, the Liberty Local School Board strongly believes in the successful preparation of all of its students for the future and that its schools are an excellent resource for its families;
WHEREAS, the Liberty Local School District has networked, met, and attempted various communication with the Girard City School District Administration and Board of Education to express its concern with the aggressive tactics and aggressive pursuit of its native Caucasian students;
WHEREAS, the Liberty Local School Board has communicated to the Girard City School Board and Administration that the open enrollment practices have led to a very large percentage of its student body enrolling in Girard with the result of millions of dollars in lost revenue to the Liberty Local Schools in recent history;
WHEREAS, per the Ohio Revised Code 3313.98, the open enrollment policies of Girard City Schools have caused an inappropriate racial imbalance in the Liberty Schools; therefore be it
RESOLVED, that the Liberty Local School District will no longer grant open enrollment consent for native Caucasian students to the Girard City School District.
WHEREAS, when the racial balances become proportional, therefore be it
RESOLVED, that the Liberty Local School District will reconsider granting open enrollment consent for native Caucasian students to the Girard City School District."

jay

regarding the school system

Is Liberty Township becoming another Youngstown?