News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Behind Closed Doors

Started by Towntalk, January 07, 2010, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Question:

How can you tell that a politician is lying?

Answer: his lips are moving

LOL

:)

sfc_oliver

Can't have this too public, we the people might find out about other backroom deals and promises that bought votes. It's all as crooked as can be, I for one refuse to vote for any incumbent.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Politicians lie

Nancy Pelosi:

Q:  Madam Speaker, it came to light today that C-SPAN wrote a letter, Mr. Lamb wrote to you guys to have this process be transparent in regards to the conference committee.  Right now it's being done with a ping-pong.  Any response on that?  Mr. Boehner announced the favor of this to be out in public.  President Obama was in favor of that on the campaign trail...

Speaker Pelosi.  Really? [Laughter.] There are a number of things that he swore on the campaign trail.  But I have referred that letter to the Assistant to the Speaker.  Mr. Van Hollen, would you like to respond?

Assistant to the Speaker Chris Van Hollen.  Thank you, Madam Speaker.  Let me just point out first that the health care debate in this piece of legislation has been subjected to an unprecedented degree of public scrutiny and input.  The original bill was put on the Internet for the public to inspect.  You then had a summer where you had thousands of hearings around the country and town meetings and both town hall meetings where people were showing up as well as telephone town hall meetings.  You had a whole series of hearings.  In fact, I think it is important to note that there were over 100 hearings held by the chairmen of the three committees who are here with us today — heard from 181 witnesses, 83 hours of markup, the list goes on.

So we will continue to have that kind of open process as we go through this next phase.  There will obviously be discussions between Members of the House and Senate, but we will continue to keep the American people informed as we have in the earlier stages.

Q:  Will you allow the C-SPAN cameras in?

Assistant to the Speaker Van Hollen.  We don't even know yet whether there is going to be a conference, as the Speaker said. 

Speaker Pelosi.  It's not excluded.

Assistant to the Speaker Van Hollen.  It's not clear whether that is going to happen.

The C-SPAN letter to Pelosi

http://www.c-span.org/pdf/C-SPAN%20Health%20Care%20Letter.pdf