News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Danger on South Avenue

Started by jay, October 24, 2002, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

Jay,  Check out South and Judson.  Try to come out on South Ave. from Judson going West.   Other signs are present all along South Ave., that may not pose a hazard, but look tacky.  I did contact the person from the South Ave. Business Assn.  He seemed interested, but never got back to me.

jay

Maggie and John,

I drove north along South Avenue this afternoon and noticed that the signs on the poles at the two locations pictured above have been removed.  Thank you to the person responsible for removing them.
Maybe this internet site accomplished something after all!

Jay

JOHN  R. Swierz

Hi Maggie,
      I have notified Mr. Bill D'Avignon, Planning  Director but more people need to call him at 330-7428842, maybe that will get faster action.  There are city ordiances to cover this.

John

maggie

Ok.  I've thought further on this safety issue/eyesore.  I'll check to see if there is an ordinance covering this issue.  If so, maybe The 7th Ward Coalition and/or blockwatches can get together and notify the offending persons of same.  We can notify the electric and telephone companies about signs on utility poles.  There is also a South Ave. business organization.  I'll talk to the president on Monday to get his input.   We can expand this effort to the residential areas and rid them of outdated garage and yard sale signs.  Anyone out there have further suggestions?

maggie

There are also signs that rest on a stand that are placed on sidewalks, causing pedestrians to walk around them.  There is a definite safety factor involved here.  You don't see this in the suburbs.  It's also visually disturbing, further "junking up the city."  Where are the police, city inspectors, and councilmen?  Don't they drive on South Avenue?  Isn't there an ordinance that prohibits this, or is it just not being enforced?

Vatiffany

Thought that the information from the Ohio Revised Code may help :  
 § 5547.04 Removal of obstructions by landowners; consent and approval; signs and advertising. The owner or occupant of lands situated along the highways shall remove all obstructions within the bounds of the highways, which have been placed there by them or their agents, or with their consent.
© Copyright 2002 Anderson Publishing Co.
Current through March 18, 2002
Anderson Publishing Co.

::)

jay

DANGER ON SOUTH AVENUE
And Other Youngstown Streets

Have you ever noticed that advertising posters are now being attached to utility poles and city street signs?  This practice is causing a visibility hazard to vehicles trying to turn onto South Avenue.  The problem is worse when trying to observe traffic approaching from the left.  See the examples in the photos below.

If the image did not appear above, click on this link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mahoningvalley/files/misc/sadang1.JPG

If the image did not appear above, click on this link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mahoningvalley/files/misc/sadang2.JPG

A member of the Snoops Block Watch brought this issue to our attention. Let's see if we could work together to remove these hazards before a serious traffic accident takes place.