News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Does anyone in Youngstown have a driver’s license?

Started by yfdgricker, February 16, 2007, 10:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Overdue support paid after traffic stops
Story by Peter H. Milliken from the Youngstown Vindicator on February 21st, 2007.

YOUNGSTOWN — The zero tolerance anti-crime crackdown, in which police and the Ohio State Highway Patrol have recently been stopping numerous motorists in this city, has resulted in a secondary benefit: the collection of delinquent child support, which motorists must pay to get their driver's licenses reinstated so they can drive legally, a county official said.

On Tuesday, the Mahoning County Child Support Enforcement Agency collected $7,000 in support from 15 walk-in delinquent parents seeking to have their suspended driver's licenses reinstated, Judee Genetin, agency director, told county commissioners Wednesday.

"Ten of those people said that they were there because of the elevated police coverage," she reported. License suspension and reinstatement workers at CSEA were "very busy on Tuesday," Genetin said.

Micky

If you take WRTA, how are you an unlicensed driver?

It's very upsetting when accidents caused by unlicensed drivers make responsible drivers' insurance premiums increase or worse yet, get cancelled by the insurance companies.  There are many people who are barely getting by but do what it takes to abide by laws.

solomia

I am a non licensed driver by choice, with job wages and being a single mother  I cannot afford car insurance,upkeep ,gas,,I use WRTA.

yfdgricker

Permanent temporary tags... I think you're on to something

connie254

But then again do those "temporary tags" really expire?

The best one I saw was in the fall last year..  It expired in 1999-looked pristine.

Shar

Hmmmmmmmm...I wasn't aware that you needed a license to drive in the City of Youngstown?? :o

Just kidding!!

yfdgricker

Here is a more in depth article from the Vindy on 2/16/2007. Hows that text blurb strike you? Why yes, I have crack...

------------------

Zero tolerance means numerous charges

'Yes, officers, I have some crack cocaine inside an Altoids can,' one person said.

YOUNGSTOWN — Take a "SIP" of this.

The mayor's zero-tolerance effort to fight crime, now dubbed Special Interdiction Patrol, or SIP, had police out on icy roads enforcing traffic laws and serving warrants.

Here's what reports show happened for a 12-hour period from Valentine's Day afternoon to early Thursday:

At 1:21 a.m. Thursday, a snow-obstructed license plate led to the arrest of Sara A. Fulton, 27, of Westmont Avenue, Austintown, on charges of drug-abuse cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia. The driver of the car stopped on Williamson Avenue was issued a traffic citation. Reports show that, when asked about weapons or narcotics, Fulton, the passenger, told police: "Yes, officers, I have some crack cocaine inside an Altoids can in my left front pants pocket and there's a crack pipe on the passenger seat where I was sitting with a crack rock loaded inside it."

The driver of a van that cruised through a red light on South Avenue at 11:50 p.m. Wednesday was pulled over by a detective. Willie B. Foy, 35, of Shady Run Road was charged with driving under suspension and running the light and given a court summons.

An obstructed temporary tag on a car at Mahoning Avenue and Meridian Road seen by police at 7:12 p.m. Wednesday led to charges against the driver and his passenger, and the car was towed away. Garry L. Conrad II, 29, of Clay Street was charged with driving under suspension and obstructed tag and given a court summons. His passenger, Frank J. Tate Jr., 36, of Steel Street was charged with possession of powdered cocaine, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia (scale). The drugs and scale were found inside a bag, police said. Tate also was served with a warrant issued in July 2006 for his failure to appear in Mahoning County Area Court in Boardman for a probation violation hearing in a 2005 driving-under-suspension case. He also was served with a warrant issued in July 2006 by a Youngstown municipal judge for his failure to appear in a 2001 assault case. He was booked into the Mahoning County jail pending arraignment.

Missing plate No front license plate on a car traveling on Market Street caught the attention of police at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday. The driver, James Edmonds, 43, of West Chalmers, was charged with driving under suspension and given a court summons.

A car stopped at Lansdowne Boulevard and McGuffey Road — impeding the flow of traffic and with an obstructed license plate — took off instead of pulling over in response to cruiser lights and siren at 4:55 p.m. Wednesday. Police pursued the car, which ran the stop sign at Stewart Avenue, and then spun out on Bennington Avenue. The driver tried to run but collapsed. Police said that Dymond D. Ortello, 21, of South Bruce Street told them he ran because he's handicapped (gunshot wound to leg that requires him to use a walker) and scared to go to jail. Ortello was charged with driving under suspension and failure to comply with a police order and taken to jail. Ortello was also wanted on a warrant out of Campbell Municipal Court.

A driver who failed to signal a turn was stopped on Steel Street by police at 4:20 p.m. Wednesday. Terence Rager, 27, of Roxbury Avenue was charged with driving under suspension and given a court summons. The car's owner, a passenger, took control of the vehicle.

No valid license A check of the license plate on a burgundy Buick Riviera that resembled one on the active stolen list revealed that the car wasn't hot but the owner didn't have a valid license. With that knowledge, police stopped the car on Albert Street at 4:05 p.m. Wednesday. The owner wasn't in the car, but the driver, Chantell Daniel, 32, of Grandview Avenue, didn't have a valid license, either. He was charged with driving under suspension and given a court summons.

Police went to Robert E. Clark's Sunshine Avenue home at 3:37 p.m. Wednesday and took him into custody. Clark, 25, was wanted on a warrant for failure to appear in municipal court in a speeding case.

At 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, police visited David G. Pope, 62, at his Cassius Avenue home. Pope was wanted on warrants for failure to appear in municipal court on charges of failure to reinstate his license, expired plates and fictitious plates. Because of numerous medical conditions, Pope was not taken to jail but was told to be in court Thursday.

At 1 p.m. Wednesday, police picked up Damion Sly at his East Laclede Avenue home. Sly, 27, was wanted on a warrant for failure to appear in municipal court on a no-operator's-license case.

yfdgricker

Haha, I love the headline of this article posted on the Vindy's website. I wonder that quite often. Even more so when that idiot pulls into the turning lane with his turn signal on while I'm at a red light then proceeds to go straight and blow the light.

--------------------

Does anyone in Youngstown have a driver's license?
Story by Patricia Meade from the Youngstown Vindicator on February 16, 2007 9:34am.

YOUNGSTOWN — Knowing the city is wall-to-wall police hunting down traffic violators hasn't stopped die-hard drivers without a valid license from ignoring rules of the road.

City police implementing the mayor's zero-tolerance approach to crime fighting through traffic stops — Special Interdiction Patrol — came across roughly a dozen drivers with suspended licenses Thursday. A few were wanted on warrants and some had drugs in their cars.

Reasons for the stops included cruising through traffic lights, failing to signal a turn, no front plate, no illuminated rear plate, one headlight, expired plates and so forth.

Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers have joined in the traffic interdiction by focusing on U.S. and state routes in the city in an effort to reduce fatalities.