News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

7,000+ Calls

Started by jay, February 01, 2007, 09:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

I can tell you about one call a cop friend of mine told me about. A lady called the cops and made them come to her house because the kid next door dumped a can of chili in her driveway. This is not what our police need to be dealing with.

ForumManager

One of the first times I listened to the online scanner... there was call that people were at Burger King on the corner of Meridian and Mahoning and that a woman in their party ran out ... her description included "flip flops."   I thought ... well isn't it her right to leave?  But anyway... the policeman that took the call seemed irritated and he reported... 
"looking for flip flops."  Within a few minutes the Austintown Police had stopped her on Meridian near the Liqour store.   I don't know the reason she was being pursued but it sounded like there was no violence and it seemed like the police were being drawn into an argument. 

northside lurker

I wonder how many of those calls were of a frivolous nature?

How many people called the police because their neighbor's dog got out? (unless the dog was potentially malicious, and the neighbor wasn't home--I could understand that)

How many people called the police because a neighbor kid mouthed off to them?

How many people called the police because someone they didn't know was walking down the street?

I don't listen to the police scanner live feed often enough to know how often these kinds of calls are made, but I do know that they happen.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Is there a breakdown of these calls:

1. Location
2. Type of call

I know that the Police representative that talked to Dan Rivers said that our Police officers are so busy responding to calls and taking reports that they have little time to do a proper investigation. This should set off all the alarm bells both in the City and County Prosecutor's office, but all we are hearing from the Mayor and City Council are excuses heaped upon excuses ... NONE OF THEM VALID.

How are the Prosecutor suppose to make air tight cases against the criminals if the Police Department has little time to do the proper investigation?

I do not blame the Police ... I do though blame the Mayor and City Council for not giving them the resources that they need, yet they have the money to hire family members and friends for non-Police/Fire jobs.

Ron Verb brought this up with the worse offending City Councilman the other day, and he flatly refused to explain himself.

jay

The police department responded to over 7,000 calls in the first month of the year.