News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

An ominous sign.

Started by Dan Moadus, November 09, 2010, 12:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Dan, we have a store that repacks and sells bulk food (Dutchvalleyfoods.com) in Poland Village.

Something to ponder, why is it that recent immigrants despite the economy seem to prosper disproportionately?  And if you get their confidence, they will tell you that they are surprised how lazy we have become.  Are we doomed because we have become complacent due to our parents giving us the good life?  Why are all the entitled vacant of any guilt when they take and take, giving nothing back in return?

Rick Rowlands

Dennis, this is an adult conversation we are having here.  If you cannot take this serious please shut up and go away.

irishbobcat

I can't believe all this alarmist stuff again. Is it Y2K all over again?

Besides, you Neo-Cons won the election, won't we all be living in milk and honey by January 2nd?

I mean, this is what you promised Ohio and America!!!!

Dan Moadus

Just curious "Youngstown Shrimp", when asked, "Do you think they will loot my bulk food store", did you mean you have a "store" of bulk food, or did you mean that you have a store that sells bulk food?

I am about a third of the way through Glenn Beck's book "Broke". This book is a real eye opener. No matter what you think about Beck, this book is a must read. He offers very little "opinion", and everything is compiled from data that anyone can verify. The book is in three sections: The first third is a history of how our economy got to where it is. The second part deals with where are we now, and just how bad it is. And the third part supposedly offers a way out. I'm through the first part, and I can tell you I have a very different opinion of our past leaders. It made me sick to learn just how bad they were. George W. Bush in particular; to say he was a big spender only scratches the surface.  I also now view Bill Clinton in a more favorable light.

I hope the third part of the book come through with its promise of some solutions, because the first part sure makes it look hopeless.  If I had to give a "nutshell" review of what the premise seems to be so far, I'd say it's a simple matter of a population wanting something for nothing, abetted by lowlife politicians lacking enough courage to say "no" even though they know it will end in the destruction of America.

The thing that scares me is that I'm learning that we are in far worse shape then people are being told. It's similar to someone who realizes they are far too deeply in debt to have any hope of paying it off. They go bankrupt. But just what does "going bankrupt" mean for our Nation? Just what would the effect on our lives be? These are the things that we must consider.

Oldmill

Well Shrimp, that should show you what people are resorting to . Yes it could have been an accident or someone needed money for smokes or beer and had some rolls of pennies.  When people run out of food, God only knows what will happen, especially the criminal element.

Youngstownshrimp

I get it, older pennies are copper.  Last week at the store, I broke open a roll of pennies and they were all wheat, so I hid them in a jar.

Maybe I should start digging tunnels like the Japanese and stock food, do you think they will loot my bulk food store?

Oldmill

Ride it out Shrimp , ride it out ! We'll be coming to you for eats..  I got wheelbarrows full of pre 1982 pennies

Youngstownshrimp

So what's the plan man?  Do we build earth ships?  Do we create militias?  Do we head for the hills?

Rick Rowlands

The Dallas Fed Reserve Bank president was just on TV stating that over the next 8 months the Fed will be printing more money out of thin air in an attempt to increase liquidity.  But the problem is not a lack of liquidity, there is lots of money out there but nobody is spending because up until last Tuesday nobody knew what half assed hairbrained scheme Obama and Co. were next planning on dumping on us.   But unfortunately any increase in optimism caused by the election is being nullified by the destructive effects of the quanitative easing. 

The government, through the massive increase in regulations, their massive borrowing and debt, uncertainty regarding tax rates and through supporting the Fed's policies are the the main reason why this economy is not improving.   In the last two years that US has become very business hostile.

Dan Moadus

Jay, you're missing the point. If the rise in the price of gas is truly a result of the devalued dollar rather than some temporary shortage, it means that it most likely won't return to a lower price. And it portends things for the future that are not pleasant to think about. We better be paying close attention to this new round of money printing (QE2).  We also better be vigilant and  ready to hold the new Republican office holder's feet to the fire, because electing them was only the beginning of the battle.

jay

Also, gasoline prices usually go up prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.
Gasoline prices often rise on Thursdays in my area.

Oldmill

I hope everyone is stocking up on essentials. Our illustrious government in its infinite wisdom has been preparing for rising rebellions for a few years now . Most folks blew it all off as conspiracies . This will not only hurt the tourism industry Rick , if you remember when gas went to over $4.00 per gallon it hurt the economy in general , It will hit tourism especially hard as people need to eat . At least for once the media is telling the truth as to why prices are rising .

Rick Rowlands

The Fed is planning to print more money out of thin air, so That 30 cent jump is just the beginning.  Then when the economy does pick up and gasoline demand rises expect that gas will probably double in price.  I know when it hit $4.00 a gallon a couple of years ago my activities were greatly curtailed.  This is going to especially hurt the tourism industry which is what I am in.

All prices will rise, but of course the only price that will not rise is the price of labor.  Wages will remain stagnant or even start to fall. But throughout it all the dependent class will continue to scream for more subsidies, not knowing or not caring that it is that spending causing much of the inflation we are now seeing.

jay

A friend who is retired recently had costly mechanical problems with his car.  Unable to afford the repairs at this time, he decided the walk or take the WRTA bus to his destinations.  He has been without a car for over a month now.
Thank goodness the residents of Mahoning County have access to public transportation.

Dan Moadus

Heard on the news today that the average price of gasoline rose to an average of $2.90 cents. The report went on to note that the price hike had nothing to do with any disruptions or shortages, but was caused by the devaluation of the dollar.

Because our government has printed over a trillion dollars, and is planning to print $600 billion more in an effort to "inflate" the economy, our dollar is now worth 20 percent less.
I read that the hyper-inflation of the Weimar Republic in Germany, where a pound of bread ended up costing 3 billion marks, and a pound of meat cost 36 billion, came about because the German government increased the money supply by 25 percent. Just last February our government increased our money supply by 300 percent. The only reason we haven't experienced hyper-inflation is because the money is "parked" and unable to find its way into circulation. The rising price of gas and other commodities is a sign that this money is starting to find its way into our economy.

This is the first rise in the price of gas that is not linked to some sort of shortage, so unless the economy gets so bad that less people are able to buy gas look for the higher price to stay, and possibly explode into the $6 dollar a gallon range. You will probably see this trend in every thing you buy.

This is just the beginning of what promises to be a long painful period in America. I hope this new crop of politicians have the courage to stop this runaway spending. I personally believe that we are right at the point of no return, and will be faced with having to decide whether we have the fortitude to accept less from our government, or face the possibility of a total collapse.

I am not hopeful, because the only way known to sop up excess currency is to force the country into a greater recession by raising interest rates. I'm afraid that we let it get so far out of hand that no politician will have the political backbone to call for the necessary deprivation to reverse our course.

The Tea Party people are a group who has recognized the danger and know that the only way out is to make massive cuts in spending. Only time will tell if they will be able to maintain their fervor when their entitlements get cut.