News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Maggy - Friday, December 1

Started by jay, December 01, 2006, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Lariccias add to K-9 donations
Story from the Youngstown Vindicator on December 11th, 2006.

YOUNGSTOWN — Philanthropists Tony and Mary Lariccia of Boardman have donated $5,000 to the Youngstown Police Department's newly revived K-9 Unit.

The department is grateful for the Lariccias' generous donation, said Detective Sgt. Rick Alli.

In November, Milk-Bone and Giant Eagle presented police with a $5,000 check to be used toward purchase of a dog and donations from the community have been made since then, Alli said.

He said estimated the cost to purchase a dog, training and equipment is $26,000.

yfdgricker

Youngstown is planning on hiring 6 new officers (see post http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=2004.0). Is the K-9 officer one of the 6 or is he/she separate?

yfdgricker

Maggy

I would have answered sooner, but couldn't get through.

The officers training is included in the cost.

The chief and mayor are in support...or the fund would not have been established.

Donations may be sent and made out to the Youngstown Police Department. In the lower corner write "Canine Fund".

These dogs actually not only pay for themselves, but are capable of additional revenues through their seizures.

The largest bust Boardman's canine had was in Youngstown, After YPD officer Welsh stopped the vehicle on the North Side, Boardman was called in and it resulted in a $ 68,000.00 seizure.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mary

Not sure what you mean by lame however this is interesting considering just this week they lost 2 suspects on the north side. Would a K9 have found them? Maybe..I understand the dogs are expensive but what about the officer? Is this fund going to pay for his/her training? And the expenses of keeping the animal? Is this something the Chief and mayor supporting? I think its a very good idea just wondering where the long term funding is going to come from.

ytowner

jay

Both corporate and individual contributions are being accepted for the K-9 unit.  I hope Maggy tells us where to send the donations and how to make out the check.

AllanY2525

I hope that the city is able to raise the necessary revenues for
a K-9 division in the city police department.  This would be a
huge "win" for the YPD to have some trained police dogs -
especially for search and seizure of contraband, firearms,
explosives, etc.

Not to mention that a police dog can be EXTREMELY
intimidating to a criminal - and "on foot"  there is nothing better
in this world than a good, fast, well-trained dog to apprehend a
fleeing suspect.

:)

jay

During tonight's program, Maggy mentioned that the YDP is trying to form a K-9 unit.  Thousands of dollars are needed to purchase a trained dog and then to train a handler.  Are there any fundraising events planned for this cause?

jay

Maggy on the radio
WKBN 570-AM
Friday, December 1, 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.