News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Grocery Store Desert

Started by Towntalk, July 02, 2015, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I really hope to see a new grocery store open downtown sometime
in the not too distant future.  It could serve the lower portions of
all four sides of town, in addition to downtown residents.  I think
they would do a good business there.

The coming hotel, re-opening of the Wick building, etc. only increase
chances of a viable store downtown.  Someone will do it when they feel
there is enough of a clientele.

Towntalk

They use to have "Pick 5" on fish but  haven't seen it lately, but I stll have a bunch in my freezer. Since  can't eat steaks any more, fish is a great alternative.

Peggy Gurney

I like Giant Eagle, but they're just so expensive. I find myself constantly thinking "whoa, that's .30 more than at Walmart!".  lol
I do get the Pick 5 meats at GE though. The meat is always fresh, unlike Save-a-lot.

I am trying to get away from shopping at Walmart. I don't like their practices. But sometimes you just have to shop where you can afford to shop.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

You'll laugh at me, but even though I have two large supermarkets near me, South Avenue Sparkle and South Avenue Save-A-Lot, I still do all my grocery shoppng at the Churchill Commons Gant Eagle, because they have everythng I need and their staff  is wonderful. It may be a huge store, but it feels like a neighborhood grocery store.

Towntalk

When I was still working at The Vindicator, I took a taxi to do our grocery shoppng at the Union Square Sparkle Market, and in between, Sturgeons United Market which was across the street from our house on Elm Street.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Towntalk on July 02, 2015, 06:55:14 PM
What about Save-A-Lot?
This Save-a-Lot has gone downhill quite a bit and is always dirty and ill-stocked.
I do watch for their ads and buy specific items that we need. But for the mostpart, I do not like going in that store.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Towntalk on July 02, 2015, 06:48:28 PM
By the way, for those who do not drive I would suggest using a local taxi service such as the one that Peggy works for. This would cost less in the long run than usng WRTA, and it's door to store and store to home, without long walks and waits.

Thanks for the plug TT. I will soon be going out on my own, and will be able to charge a bit less than I'm forced to charge with this company.   ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Peggy Gurney

The north side, for all intents and purposes, is a grocery store desert. Yes there is the Walmart in Liberty a couple of miles up the road, and the Giant Eagle on the north side of Liberty.
Taking those out of the equation, there is no grocery on the north side of YOUNGSTOWN.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

When I do my grocery shopping, I shop for a month's supply of groceries since I do not drive, but depend on my best frend.  I could shop twice a month, but it's more convient for both of us, and I must say that I eat just as good as those with cars and more money than I have to spend on food. In terms of dollars on grocery shopping, I average $200 a month non-food items (tolet paper, soap, paper towels etc.) included. Now I'm not bragging but simply showing that it is possable for someone who doesn't drive to do all their grocery shoppng at one time, and avoid having to shop several times a week and waste precous time.
By the way, for those who do not drive I would suggest using a local taxi service such as the one that Peggy works for. This would cost less in the long run than usng WRTA, and it's door to store and store to home, without long walks and waits.

Towntalk

We here in the 7th Ward are fortunate to have 2 large Supermarkets in our area - South Avenue Sparkle Market [Don't waste your time telling me that this store is in Boardman, I'M WELL AWARE OF THAT FACT AND DON'T NEED ANY GUFF. The fact is that it is just a short way off Midlothian Blvd.] and the South Avenue Save-A-Lot. Yet for those who do not drive, these stores might just as well be on the moon. The big question is, just how many large supermarkets can the city support? Convence stores don't cut it ... first, their prices are higher ... the variety is smaller and most of what they do have is junk food, and most do not have fresh produce.

WKBN is going to do a report on this problem tonight at 6:00 and 11:00.

http://wkbn.com/2015/07/02/youngstown-residents-feel-hardship-of-food-desert/