News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Unlimited Number Of Four Year Terms For Mayor

Started by jay, October 25, 2012, 05:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on October 26, 2012, 10:06:31 AM
Question

Name the Republican who ran against Jay Williams in the 2009 general election?

jay williams was the closet case republican that ran in the mayoral race of 2005. sonny smith brought him to the boe to introduce him to the republican boardmembers as theri man in the race for ytown mayor. he told the republican boardmembers to support him financially because majority of them lived in the subs. one rep board member said he was the most argonant person he ever met. sonny smith donated twenty thousand dollars to his campaign the day before the general election. so much for mayor j being the first independent to run for this office without his nose growing when he spoke that he was not beholden to any group.

Towntalk

Republican Central Committee members from Youngstown

YGN 2D  Tracey Winbush  Youngstown   YGN 3C  Mr. Raymond Butler  Youngstown   YGN 3G  Ms. Jill A. Downie  Youngstown   YGN 3H  Mr. Richard Atkinson  Youngstown   YNG 4A  Mr. Kevin Wegendt  Youngstown   YNG 4G  Mr. Dominic Lucarelli  Youngstown   YNG 4M  Mr. Adam Costello  Youngstown   YGN 5D  Mr. Donald F. Komara  Youngstown   YGN 5M  Mr. Tyrone Peakes  Youngstown   YGN 5N  Don  Priester  Youngstown   YGN 6J  Charles E. Rhodes, Jr.  Youngstown   YNG 5H  Mr. James Young  Youngstown   YNG 5K  Mr. Michael Gunger  Youngstown   YNG 6A  Mr. Jim Priester  Youngstown   YNG 7B  Mr. Myke Clarett  Youngstown   YNG 7C  Jeremy Haddle  Youngstown   YNG 7M  Mr. Robert Vukovich  Youngstown

Towntalk

If your beef is the fact that few if any Republicans run for city offices, you have only the Republican leadership to blame, and term limits will not do a single thing to change the playing field.

Personally, in as much as the GOP has written off Youngstown, I've written the GOP off, and until there is a mighty change within the party, there is no way that I will vote for any Republican on the county level.

What has the county GOP done for our city that would warrant our support? Nothing. Even the city residents that are on the central committee have written the city off.

Towntalk

Ahhh so it comes right down to politics and not qualifications. Forget everything else ... a persons party affiliation comes first last and always.

jay

Question

Name the Republican who ran against Jay Williams in the 2009 general election?

Towntalk

Question

Suppose we had a mayor that was doing a great job ... the city was getting out of debt ... our streets and bridges were cared for ... businesses were coming in bringing jobs with them ... taxes were being reduced ... crime was down ... city council was holding it's meetings at 7:00 pm would you say term limit that mayor out of office in order to bring in a person who didn't know where west was even if you pointed to it?

Change for the sake of change can come back to bite you in the rear.

Lyndz

i agree with westsider, if someone is doing a great job keep them in, theres nothing worse then having to vote between two terrible candidates because the incumbent is term limited.

jay

I'm against an unlimited number of terms for mayor.  From past experience, this city has not had much of a choice when it comes to picking a mayor.  If anything, we need to find a way to encourage many more people to run for office at all levels.

iwasthere

its not the mayor that turns the city around. its his ad, council and the residents of the city. i say let the term lmts stay and let us have fresh blood every four to eight yrs.

northside lurker

Massillon, Oh. doesn't have term limits for its mayor.  Frank Ciccinelli was first elected mayor in 1987, and was finally voted out last year.  As a kid, (in the 80's) I remember riding through downtown with Mom, and noticing how rundown it was.  But, the Ciccinelli administration was able to greatly improve the city over its many terms.  I'm not sure he/they would have been successful, if they were limited to 2 terms.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

it is a bad idea. the ch rev com were clueless on this issue. the ytown resients wanted to put term limits on the mayor and the council for a reason, fresh blood in the city hall. we do not need another pat ungaro cafaro in office for another eighteen yrs.

jay

On the November 6 election ballot in Youngstown

Charter amendment: permitting the mayor to run for an unlimited number of four year terms.

Is this a good idea?  Why or why not?