News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Citywide Cleanup - Saturday, May 2

Started by jay, April 03, 2015, 04:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

iwasthere

I DO NOT NEED A BAND, FIREWORKS AND OTHER CELEBRATIONS ICONS WHEN I DO AN ACT OF CHARITY. >:(

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on May 20, 2015, 09:31:49 AM
Yessir, that is what I meant. My apologies, I should have been more clear.
The media gives next-to-no coverage to other areas of the city who work hard to clean up and beautify there neighborhoods.
Well, except for certain areas of the west side.  ;)

Shoot....the volunteers should invite the media to HELP VOLUNTEER some of
THEIR time, in the name of community service....it would be great "P.R." for them.

It would solve the coverage problem too, since media usually likes to blow their
own horn.

:)

Towntalk

That's precisely what I've been trying to do ever since I moved to the 7th ward but unfortunately the leaders of the neighborhood groups are unaware of the fact that this site exists, or they are inactive. Facebook has a site where local groups can post events and if something comes up,I'll post it here, but you seem to have a lot of connections beyond the West Side, and hopefully you can put a bug in their ear and get them to at least come here long enough to post events. iwasthere also has plenty of 7th ward contacts even though he is now in the 6th but that shouldn't stop him from doing what he can.

jay

Quote We have invited them to events that they didn't come to.

In a small way, this Forum is a media outlet.  So please tell us about your upcoming event and then give us a report (with pictures if possible) once the event has taken place.

Towntalk

Seventh Ward reply to Jay

Peggy Gurney

ppffftt,  every time you turn around Rocky Ridge is in the news.  I'm not upset about it. No reason to be. I'm happy for all of their accomplishments.
I'm just saying that the media needs to be more fair in it's reporting of Youngstown neighborhood events.  We have invited them to events that they didn't come to.
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

The Rocky Ridge Neighborhood had a big clean up last Saturday.  Two councilmen and one future councilwoman attended as well as about twenty other volunteers.

The media did not cover this clean up, but then again they were not asked to be there.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Towntalk

;) That may be because those certain West Side groups are forever trying to outshine everyone else for their own vain glory. No one counts but them. ;)

Peggy Gurney

Yessir, that is what I meant. My apologies, I should have been more clear.
The media gives next-to-no coverage to other areas of the city who work hard to clean up and beautify there neighborhoods.
Well, except for certain areas of the west side.  ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on May 07, 2015, 12:02:23 AM
Yes guys, I do know that it actually IS a city-wide clean up.  I've been working it for the past 4 years or so, encouraging my own neighbors to clean up our neighborhood.
However, did anyone see any posts, either here or FB, or any articles in the newspaper or on the news about any cleanups anywhere except downtown?
I didn't, hence my post.

Peggy,

Pardon me I think I misinterpreted what you said....you were referring to the MEDIA always
focusing their COVERAGE on downtown cleanup activites, not the volunteers focusing all their
EFFORTS on the downtown ....right?

:-X

jay

The Youngstown Litter Office ran announcements on TV the week prior to the citywide cleanup.

Peggy Gurney

Yes guys, I do know that it actually IS a city-wide clean up.  I've been working it for the past 4 years or so, encouraging my own neighbors to clean up our neighborhood.
However, did anyone see any posts, either here or FB, or any articles in the newspaper or on the news about any cleanups anywhere except downtown?
I didn't, hence my post.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Nicholas Serra

What Allan said. Myself and a crew picked up 500 tires from the West and South sides. Everyone was free to clean up anything they wanted to.