News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

First Unitarian Church

Started by Towntalk, January 10, 2013, 08:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on January 16, 2013, 02:17:25 PM
I think the wind turbine comment was made by someone talking out of his or her rear and with no basis in reality.
i agree with you rr.

Rick Rowlands

I think the wind turbine comment was made by someone talking out of his or her rear and with no basis in reality. 

Towntalk

Question:

One of the ideas for replacing the steeple is a wind turbine, but every wind turbine I've ever seen was mounted on a tall tower (note that I'm referencing only the ones I've seen with my own two eyes) and that tower is not exactly small in terms of diameter.

Likewise the blades are themselves very large.

When you combine the two elements ... the tower and the blades and include the anchoring points for the tower and the electrical gear you're talking about a lot of space.

Q1. Obviously the area on the roof of the church is small. It was not built to support the sort of tower that would be needed for a wind turbine. How much of a change in the building would be needed to support a wind turbine?

Q2. Assuming that they do go ahead and replace the steeple with a wind turbine, would that not put stress on the building which was not built for that purpose.

Q3. Would the church not have to make significant changes to the structure by closing off the main entrance which is directly under the existing steeple?

Q4. The University wanted to build a wind turbine, but the city said no, so would they not also say no to the church?

iwasthere

i am sure the ytown com will come out to raise funds for the steeple's repair job. the unitarian ch has frds from other rel com that will not hesitate to assist the uu ch.

Towntalk

Just where is that church on Mahoning Avenue? Is it currently in use as a church? If not, could it be purchased and used as a community center?

jay

I applaud the members of the church for keeping this facility open and functioning on behalf of the north side of Youngstown.

There's a church on Mahoning Avenue on the west side that seems to be home to a different congregation every few years.  There have been occassions when the church building was empty for months at a time.   Keeping any property occupied adds to the stability of a neighborhood.

Towntalk

Am I missing something Jay? What does where the members live have to do with it? I applaud them that they kept their church here rather than to abandon it. The members of the Jewish church next door don't all live in Youngstown either, yet they are great neighbors.

Also, don't forget all the good work that First Unitarian does for the people of Youngstown, or should that be written off because the members don't all live in Youngstown?

jay

I've heard that most members of the congregation don't live in Youngstown.  But unlike other congregations, they did not relocate the church to the suburbs.

Youngstownshrimp

I was on my backhoe all day digging an 8"  sprinkler line for Nevels Temple (Elm).  My company manages their landholdings.  While I was there, the steeple was being craned down.
The Church called me to look at the steeple since I was referred to them because of my engineering background.  I guess when they found out that I am a conservative/libertarian, they elected to spend more money .

Towntalk

While it's really none of our business what the First Unitarian-Universalist Church opts to do, it would be sad if they replaced the steeple with a wind turbine which would detract from the beauty of the building. The same is true with solar panels.

Rick Rowlands

I would like to find out exactly what was failing on the steeple.  Was it the roof that is holding it up, or is it rotted wood within the steeple itself. Figuring out what exactly is wrong with it will tell the tale as to whether it can be repaired.

One of the things that Youngstown has lost are craftsmen with workshops capable of tackling such a project.  In smaller communities there may be a local woodworking shop or a retired carpenter that would take on such a project as a matter of pride for his community, but Youngstown doesn't seem to have as many of the hands on types left, and certainly there isn't much extra money floating around to hire professionals to do the job. 

Towntalk

Absolutely, because we North Siders look after each other unlike folks in other sides of town, and we don't need outsiders telling us what to do.

When Richard Brown had a fire that prevented them from holding services who came to their aid? The Jewish Church next door opened their doors to them at no charge until repairs were completed. No one from the West Side helped the church.

jay

Would north side residents who were not members of this congregation be willing to contribute to the restoration of the church steeple?

irishbobcat

I know St. Nick's Church has structural problems with their stepple a year or two ago....and had to change the design...I believe they also had to make changes to their bell tower as well.

northside lurker

I agree, it should be preperly restored to its original appearance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison