News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

7th Ward's City Council Candidate

Started by jay, December 07, 2014, 09:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Much to the distress of the management of the Strand Theatre, election night posed all sorts of woes for the theater as that corner of the Square was filled with people racing back from the polling places with their containers of ballots; the news media; the candidates awaiting the results; party hangers on; and people descending upon both Democratic and Republican headquarters for free wee nips of brew and a sandwich or three. It was grand and glorious so it was.
What we have today can not compete with the election nights of yore. When the last of the ballots were counted and the results in, the managers of all the downtown theaters would stop the movies and come onto the stages to announce the winners. It was so grand ... especially for those fortunate enough to be able to be downtown.

Towntalk

For my part, I am a Mavrick Demopublican, contrary, opinionated, self centered, and outspoken, so I don't fit into any mold.
When I regestrated for the first time, the lady asked me my party affiliation looking her square in the eye, I said "Communist", and after the shock wore off I told her, Democratic with Republican leanings so she simply put down Democrat just to be done with me when Congressman Kirwin chanced to walk in and after proper greetings befitting my HERO, he asked her if I was giving her grief, and turning back to me invited me downstairs to Isaly' for a cup of coffee. The Board of Elections at the time was on the South-East corner of the Square in the Reality Building, next door to the Democratic headquarters, and Congressman Kerwin had his Youngstown office in the Reality Building. Those were wonderful days back in 1960. Oh, and by the way, the Republican Headquarters was also located in the Reality Building

PD

Because she is an independent and always has been.  Same question I asked because I think she could win the primary
The question for travers might be why run as a democrat when he ran as an independent for prez of council
I really dont do twitter but it looks like her.
I think she will bring a fresh perspective to Youngstown and will work well with the new class coming in.
I plan on aggressively helping her campaign and with resources
Just for the record I am a democrat but will always back who I feel is the best choice

Towntalk

Why won't she be running in the Primary? She sounds from her Twitter account like she could very well win over a lot of 7th Warders.

Towntalk

PD

She is a true independent. Not a Green Party member
She will be running an aggressive campaign stating the new year even though she won't be running in the primary

Towntalk

Is this lady a Green Party supporter? Could you please tell us more about her.

Peggy Gurney

I've never heard of her.  Being a newcomer could be a mark against her.
But then you never know. 
~ Normal is overrated ~

PD

I am hearing about a nice young newcomer named Lauren Johnson running as an independent.  She is running and will have my support for this position.   

Towntalk

That my friend is old news.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/dec/05/ohio-dems-in-state-of-flux/
By the way, Joe is an active member of one of the churches on the West side.

jay

I saw a Rafidi For Council sign on South Avenue this week.

AllanY2525

Amen, Jay. 

People who are "new blood" and have a demonstrated record of "I DO GIVE A SH** ABOUT MY
NEIGHBORHOOD".

If Phil Kidd ever does decide to run for council, he would WIN.  Hell, he could probably be the
next Mayor of Youngstown.

jay

Many of the names mentioned so far are from neighborhood associations.  Our community might finally have a choice from a field of candidates who actually have done some work in the community prior to the election.

Peggy Gurney

It doesn't matter (to me) what race runs for council, as long as they DO THE JOB and do it well.

Yes, let's do separate the wards/council seat discussions.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

1. Lets please seperate the other wards from this thread and give them threads of their own, for heaven knows there is a whale of a lot that could be discussed about each, especially the 1st and 6th.

2. As for Gillam, even if Mr.Gillam decides not to run, the WYBC thinks that they own the 1st ward lock, stock and barrel, and if a white candidate dared to challange him the central committee would go on the warpath, because the WYBC wants nothing less than 100% control of Youngstown, and only allow token representation for whites, if that. You can bet that after they've gained control of the 7th ward, they'll go after the 4th and 5th using the same argument.