News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Old Cedars building

Started by penguinnick, February 12, 2016, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Serra

Yeah they got the credit. Seems to be financial issues. Gatta has several properties in disrepair. Building is also apparently unsecured. Seen a ton of photos of people inside of it.

northside lurker

Well, as long as the outside walls remain straight, demolition shouldn't be a concern, IMO.  It's not that hard to replace some rotten wood joists.

I did a quick google search, and it appears they did get the historic tax credit.  Hopefully, they can move ahead--or sell to someone who can--before the tax credit expires.
http://businessjournaldaily.com/5-9m-renovation-of-gallagher-building-set-for-spring/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

YoungstownBiker

The roof had leaks for who knows how long and there's a ton of structural damage.

northside lurker

Last I heard, the owners were trying to get the building designated as historic, so they could apply for historic tax credits.  Additionally, though, I believe the building's owner ran into financial trouble.

What kind of structural damage does the building have that would make it necessary to tear it down?  I haven't looked at it closely, but the building looks fine from the outside.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Irishbobcat

I thought they were going to put some kind of burger pub in there?

YoungstownBiker

From my understanding, the building is in far worse shape than they initially thought. If everything was on schedule, the building would have been finished by now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's too far gone and has to come down.

jay

I've passed this building many times but haven't seen any activity there at all.

penguinnick

It seems as if there is nothing happening in the old Cedars building (Gallagher).  By now I thought there would be all sorts of construction taking places inside.  Is something wrong?  Are the owners (Gatta's?) still turning the ground floor into a craft beer venture?  It's sad seeing this building the way it is, especially the beautiful patio.