News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Non-Partisan Elections

Started by jay, March 25, 2013, 10:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

tt i think more people would run because they do not want the d or the  r in front of their name for the office they seek.

Towntalk

If Youngstown were to go to non-partisan elections, what guarintee carved in stone would there be that a non- Democratic candidate would be elected? What would prevent the party leadership from going onto talk radio to champion the cause of the candidates they support, or run newspaper ads to the same effect?

When the Vindicator Editorial Board interviews the candidates, there is every likelyhood that while the race is non-partisan, there would logically be concluded that their summations would send signals to the voters.

Billy Mumphrey

I believe non-partisian elections should be held in Youngstown since it seems only Democrats run for office and essentially are elected in the primary by just the small party faithful. Now I do understand the local Green Party will have candidates for the May primary and November election. If Youngstown continues to be a one-party town, non-partisian should be the way to go in the future.

jay

During the Youngstown Charter Review Commission's public hearings, many residents expressed a desire to have non-partisan elections in Youngstown.

Here are some U.S. cities that hold non-partisan elections.

Los Angeles CA 
Phoenix AZ 
San Antonio TX
Dallas TX
San Diego CA
San Jose CA
Detroit MI
Jacksonville FL
Austin TX
Columbus OH
Fort Worth TX
Memphis TN