News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Struthers Radio Station

Started by jay, November 27, 2012, 08:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I'm thankful that one of our Forum members was instrumental in saving this radio station.

Towntalk

Great article in today's Vindicator about Dennis and WKTL.

Youngstownshrimp

I guess this is why Irishbob has been absent here he was doing a good job to preserve an icon in the community, hats off to you my friend.  Most likely on this site with all the rough brainstorming in the past , Dennis and many of us have learned that we need to come together and rebuild free enterprise in America. 

Billy Mumphrey

This is very good news. I am now a regular listener to this station. I enjoy the Summit music and the ethnic music on Saturdays. I start my Saturdays listening to the big band show and end my evening listening to slovak music. Slovak Som!

iwasthere

this is the positive side of any debate on community issues, both sides listened to one another without any personal negative attacks towards each other. struthers boe deserves a high five on this one.

jay

Announced on WFMJ this morning

The Struthers Board of Education agreed to lease radio station WKTL to the Summit Radio Station in Akron.  Mahoning Valley ethnic programming will remain on Saturdays.

The eight year contract will be signed by the Akron Board in the near future.

Towntalk

jay

I've heard the station may receive a late Christmas present with the announcement coming in January.   Let's hope for the best.

irishbobcat

My first job in education was as a radio instructor and program director for a student-run high school radio station outside Dayton,Ohio....just like WKTL.....did that gig for 7 years.......

Towntalk

That's a shame. for I'm certain that you would make a great GM or PD and it could expand your on air presence. Also your credentials as an educator would be of immense value in keeping with the meaning behind the stations call letters.

irishbobcat

Under Ohio law, an elected public official (board member) cannot be "hired" for any job in the same district.
A lease agreement at this point in time is probably the most viable option. The board is looking for the best "win-win" scenario regarding the
outcome of WKTL.

Towntalk

I agree with Ron in that not only will the school have an ongoing income, but it should give you leverage over programming, and I still say that whoever gets it, they should give you a management position either Manager or Operations Manager which would give you control over local programming.

Youngstownshrimp

Dennis,
Lease it, if you need help from local business leaders from the area, let me know.  Be careful in selling what may have greater value than meets the naked eye.

Towntalk

Dennis, whatever you and the board decide, I hope that they offer you a management position ... manager or operations manager (program director).

Struthers BOE mulls over WKTL options

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/nov/28/school-board-mulls-over-wktl-options/