News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

ACTION/Saandi Walk ?????

Started by jay, July 09, 2014, 05:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

the captain jumped ship and he boarded another ship at the southern park mall.

cc4

Holy mackerel!  I tried the place twice.  The people working there were very nice, but I can't

say I cared for the corn meal crusted fish and the thimble sized serving of coleslaw.  I remember

the shrimp being tasty, though.  Too bad the business couldn't be sustained.

jay

It's O-Fish-ial.

The Captain Fish building is closed and boarded up.

iwasthere

i think captain fish reopened.?

AllanY2525

Quote from: jay on July 09, 2014, 04:13:26 PM
Marches are not going to change South Avenue.

Much of the decline of South Avenue can be traced back to the fact that residents of the Seventh Ward and the south side wouldn't even patronize the businesses and establishments along South Avenue.  The same can be said for other major corridors of the city.

....and lots of it can be blamed on the crime in that area.  With people getting shot, thugs, drugs, fighting,
gang activity, armed robberies,  etc - a lot of folks in their right mind would prefer to go elsewhere.

Can anyone blame them for this?  Can anyone blame the decay of the South Side on people for
simply exercising their own freedom of choice as a consumer?  I think not.  Sounds like the businesses
on South Avenue have to figure out where the competition is - and find a way to compete with them.

This is how a free market society works.....where consumers shop is a choice - not a responsibility.

Clean up South Avenue,  make it safe day and night, and perhaps more people might patronize the
business there without fear of being shot, robbed, etc.

Please also consider the fact that there are far fewer people living in the area around South Avenue
than there used to be - it's called population loss, ie: less consumers means less business just
like everywhere else in the entire city.....

Town talk makes an excellent point as well: A lot of people have far less money than when times
we're better and good paying jobs were more plentiful.  I'm not gonna go out to a restaurant,
a bar, etc if I'm struggling to pay the bills.

Towntalk

Lets get something straight right here and right now, not everyone feels compelled to run off to every restaurant at every turn. By the same token, not everyone is in an economic position to dine out every day. Again, not everyone is blessed with an excess of disposable income like you seem to be, so eating out is a luxury.
I frequent the Subway near me once a week and drop $14.00 on food, but that is the extent of my dining out.
Finally, like every other self respecting person, my first obligation is to see to it that all my bills are paid in full and on time, and that money is set aside for an emergency so that I'm not a burdon on either my family or society as a whole. I can honestly say that I can go to bed at night knowing that I will not have to worry about a bill collector hounding me, and by the way, I am on NONE of the welfare programs such as HEAT, Section 8, or any of the other welfare programs set up to help senior citizens other than Social Security, and I paid into that for some 40 years.

jay

Roadhouse
Dragon Palace
Johnny's
Backyard Dogs
Jolly Joe's
Angelo's Pizza
Nancy's
KFC
Captain Fish
etc.

Towntalk

Excuse me Jay, but who says that "the residents of the Seventh Ward ..." won't patronize South Avenue stores? That's a broad and uninstantiated statement ... I shop at South Ave. Save-A-Lot and Sparkles and both stores are always busy. True, I don't frequent taverns, but then unlike some, I don't do a lot of drinking except with a good meal now and then.
Most of the stores that I do business at are on East Midlothian ... Bottom Dollar ... Family Dollar ... Subway ... gas stations ... Rite Aide to name a few and all are within two miles of my apartment.
If you personally were to set up a farmers market on East Midlothian, I'd be your best customer, but I'm not going to go running all over the area to spend my money just for the sake of a feel good feeling afterwards.

jay

Marches are not going to change South Avenue.

Much of the decline of South Avenue can be traced back to the fact that residents of the Seventh Ward and the south side wouldn't even patronize the businesses and establishments along South Avenue.  The same can be said for other major corridors of the city.

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on July 09, 2014, 03:27:46 PM
Couldn't agree more my friend, I couldn't agree more. I have my own personal opinions about the afore mentioned revs ...  macklin, materi, simon, and harrison,but have to obsere political correctness here lest I upset someone.
you will not upset anyone on this board with your opionions.

Towntalk

Couldn't agree more my friend, I couldn't agree more. I have my own personal opinions about the afore mentioned revs ...  macklin, materi, simon, and harrison,but have to obsere political correctness here lest I upset someone.

iwasthere

fr fata and fr ed and rev roslie carter were the only ones from the religious cloth.  :) where were revs. macklin, materi, simon, and harrison?  these  inds ONLY COME OUT WHEN THE TELEVISION CAMERAS ARE ROLLING A LIVE BROADCAST. >:(

Towntalk

At least they are trying to make a difference. What the h888 are you doing to make a difference? There's no easy solution. Not even Christ succeeded in creating a perfect world. In all my years covering the news I never heard of anyone who succeeded in creating the sort of utopia that you would be happy in, but the fact that you're still around here given all the problems that we face here in Youngstown day after day shows that you care.

PD

TT. How do you feel these walk/marches turn things around?  What does it accomplish that you feel?  Action has been doing these for years now and I've never seen any result.  They walk then never go back

Towntalk

Better that they are trying to turn things around than just sit around complaining about every little trivial matter like some are prone to do. When was the last time that Youngstown's murder map had to be updated?