News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Black Walnut"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 23, 2011, 08:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I don't really know how to take care of them for eating myself...But I'm real good at making Black walnut stain for decks and such....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

johnshericosmo

Quote from: jay on December 19, 2016, 08:54:48 PM
I've kept a can of black walnut shells in my car for winter driving.  If the street snow gets slick, just sprinkle the walnut shells on the packed snow for additional traction.
i don't know how to dry them but i would love to learn.  maybe you can keep me in mind later this year !!

sfc_oliver

Not a bad idea at all..... Better than sand......

jay

I've kept a can of black walnut shells in my car for winter driving.  If the street snow gets slick, just sprinkle the walnut shells on the packed snow for additional traction.

sfc_oliver

Quote from: johnshericosmo on November 07, 2016, 08:53:05 PM
i would love to pick some walnuts !!

If you know how to dry them there may be some left in the back yard....
But if you haven't done it before i don't suggest you try it...

johnshericosmo

i would love to pick some walnuts !!

stewie

Youngstownshrimp

Stewie Poohie, this is what is well known about me to real people not cowards like you who aren't even proud of the name their parents gave them.  Stand up and be proud of your insignificant life who ever you are.  Oh, and the neighbors up on the eastside, are watching, don't let us catch you trespassing, they are armed.

We make a lot of people happy each summer, it is called community organizing, the true way, what do you do, yea, I thought so NADA $%$#&*% Thing :)

stewie

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on February 23, 2011, 08:04:38 PM
Being an outdoors man, one begins to respect and understand life in the woodlands of Ohio, such a beautiful serene peaceful getaway from the evils of society.  Walking with my forester through older woods on the eastside we could see and feel the ecosystem teaming with life.  Fresh tracks on the snow revealed squirrel, rabbit and deer, it was refreshing not to see the tracks and debris of society and direspect here in Youngstown.  My old friend the forester always impressed me with his knowledge begun with an education from OSU and honed with years assessing Ohio woodlands, he has evolved into a quiet man.  Years ago he educated me about the nature of our hardwood forest and how we are blessed with native trees that are perpetual in their lifespan.  The species which I have learned to identify in the woods are highly valued thruout the world and only found in our region.  Wild cherry, ash, red oak, white oak, black oak even locust are many species I can name as I wander though the land.  Of all these years I could not identify the rarest of them all, black walnut.  Today was a lesson I have waited for most of my life, the knowledge to identify black walnut and the soil that it grows in.  It was rare to discover a stand of black walnut in the wild on the banks of a creek.

Question Ron. It is well known that you have laid waste to acres and acres of forests either with permission or in some instances illegally.  So how exactly does that play into all of this "respect and understanding" of life in the woodlands of Ohio....?? Please enlighten us.  Also one only needs to go to the eastside of Youngstown on Thornhill Dr. to view how "respectfully" you have installed your Shrimpin ponds.

irishbobcat

BE very careful...there are some posters here who like to cut down trees.....

and others who like to put gas fracking wells on all this scenic country property.....

Youngstownshrimp

I was told Kasich today said God much be watching over us in relation to the discovery of oil here.

Today a young professional said to me that she is going to hold onto her inherited 10 acres in Springfield, she says she still has older growth woods in the back.  Glad to see the younger generation valuing their land again.  I told her about the walnut grove, I bet she inherited matured hardwoods.  This person will have a tidy check everymonth when royalties kick in.  Her daddy was wise saving his daughter some land.

northside lurker

Natural scenery in the country is great, especially in this part of the US.  I love visiting my aunt and uncle's small farm out in southern Stark County.

But one can often be blessed with great natural scenery in the city of Youngstown, too.

Here is the view from my backyard:

And we all know this view from Fellows Gardens:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

I've got 5 Black Walnut trees on my Property. Anyone want to pick some walnuts up next fall, just let me know.

Rick Rowlands

Its great to live outside of the city...  I see this out my back window every morning.

Youngstownshrimp

Being an outdoors man, one begins to respect and understand life in the woodlands of Ohio, such a beautiful serene peaceful getaway from the evils of society.  Walking with my forester through older woods on the eastside we could see and feel the ecosystem teaming with life.  Fresh tracks on the snow revealed squirrel, rabbit and deer, it was refreshing not to see the tracks and debris of society and direspect here in Youngstown.  My old friend the forester always impressed me with his knowledge begun with an education from OSU and honed with years assessing Ohio woodlands, he has evolved into a quiet man.  Years ago he educated me about the nature of our hardwood forest and how we are blessed with native trees that are perpetual in their lifespan.  The species which I have learned to identify in the woods are highly valued thruout the world and only found in our region.  Wild cherry, ash, red oak, white oak, black oak even locust are many species I can name as I wander though the land.  Of all these years I could not identify the rarest of them all, black walnut.  Today was a lesson I have waited for most of my life, the knowledge to identify black walnut and the soil that it grows in.  It was rare to discover a stand of black walnut in the wild on the banks of a creek.