News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Pan handling/ begging

Started by Rushblvd, July 24, 2016, 06:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Someone is doing a good job of removing those milk crate seats.

kenneyjoe330

Well over a month has passed since the begging of this thread ! ! !   What say we now ! ! !

jay

It was Mike Ray, the fourth ward councilman, who brought up the issue of beggars on the service road at Belmont and at Fifth Avenue.

Irishbobcat

I remember one day a guy hit me up for a bus ticket so he could get home to Kansas City that weekend....2 weeks later he stopped me again still needing money for that bus ticket...
But the two ladies on scooters driving up and down the sidewalks on West Federal take the cake!

Rushblvd

The one panhandler changed his sign to say" only budgeted for $110.00 a month" ...the other day, at 5:15 pm.  I was at the light at 5th and the service road, when he came to my window with that sign-I told him he could go eat 2- blocks over , at the Dorothy Day house. His answer-"I am not hungry, I need money to live on"

Rushblvd

I already have a commitment for this evening from 3:00 to 7:00 ..

jay

Rushblvd

At the City Council Safety Committee meeting on Thursday, July 28, council will address the issue of pan handling.  Please try to attend this meeting and express your concerns.

Safety Committee Meeting
Thursday, July 28, 5:00 p.m.
Council Caucus Room
6th Floor
City Hall

Nicholas Serra

I take the milk crates whenever I can ha

jay

More rose bushes should be planted on those corners.      ;)

northside lurker

This issue has been discussed at our neighborhood meetings a number of times.  YPD is aware of them, but there isn't much the police can do, except question them, whenever they see them.  Maybe the new anti-loitering legislation city council is working on will help?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rushblvd

The biggest issue I have with this is that out -of -towners who come through and older folks who may be intimated, not to mention the trash they accumulate while sitting on the milk crates. I know YPD knows the two by Mercy, because everyone in Youngstown knows them. There is now two by Fifth/service road. I have told the one at 5th to come eat at the Dorothy Day House but he never shows up. So again, as small as this problem might seem to YPD it will escalate.

jay

A woman with a sign was at the corner of Belmont and the west bound service road this evening.

kenneyjoe330

I have seen then also !   They are right where people from not only out of town but also out of state and from all over the world get off to Youngstown State, Butler, the Incubator, Mercy Health Care to name just a few places.  I am sure there is some probably ancient law on the books or even if they passed a new law - it would not make a difference unless SOMEONE ENFORCES IT. 

jay

I saw a man with a sign at 5th and the west bound service road on Saturday afternoon.  He even had some milk crates to sit upon.

Rushblvd

What ever the difference is, it is becoming annoying. At the corner of Belmont and I guess its considered a service road, by Mercy Health, they are there everyday. The police know them very well but they are allowed to sit or stand with there sign. Then at the corners of 5th ave at both service ramps, these individuals walk right up to your window asking for money. If someone from out of town, or an elderly person happens upon this they may feel scared or imitated....Its not right YPD needs to do something instead of driving  by it...