News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Departure of Global

Started by jay, October 21, 2007, 05:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I don't think county residents would ever pass a tax to pay for the Chevrolet Centre.
Would the city be able to place a special tax on only Youngstown residents to pay for the Chevy Centre?

Towntalk

The new outfit couldn't be any worse than Global.

Here was a company that supposedly had tons of experience and a top shelf booking agency, yet look at what they brought here over the years. Certainly it would seem that they made little effort to book the Chevy Center in such a way as to draw crowds. True, shows cost big bucks, and true, Youngstown is certainly not able to draw the huge crowds that it use to when we had two large downtown theaters that had live stage shows and were booking in big name shows, but it seems to me that Global and the city were so busy fighting each other that little effort was made to bring in shows.

Between the two downtown theaters I mentioned, when you factor in Stambaugh Auditorium, there was something going on every week of the year ... big names from Hollywood and Broadway ... big bands like Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Benny Goodman.

I can remember seeing a live stage show at the Palace featuring Les Paul, Mary Ford and Patti Page, and it was great.

jay

Will the departure of Global improve the operation and profitability of the Chevrolet Centre?