News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

South Avenue Question

Started by jay, June 01, 2014, 09:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc4

My husband and I tried it once also.  We did not care for the breading on the fish/shrimp.  Also, the

portion of cole slaw served with the dinner was a joke.  It was in a container that condiments are

usually served in; that is, one or two bites worth of cole slaw.  It wasn't exactly cheap either.  We did not

return for a second meal.

The woman working at the counter was very pleasant though.  Maybe we just chose the wrong thing.

Towntalk

Flint Hill on the map

AllanY2525

TownTalk wins!!

As usual, you are right on the money, you smart lady -  you... hehe

(there are two correct answers...)

8)

It was Presque Isle - PART of it.  There are two places with the name Presque Isle on Google - one of them being
a state park in Pennsylvania, not far from Erie - they probably got the name from the one near Erie(?)

Source: Sanborn Fire Insurance maps for 1889

Anyone who guessed Flint Hill would be equally correct - the short stretch that was Presque Isle looks almost like
a boulevard running from north bank of the river through the middle of Brown Bonnel & Co. mill to Front Street.

From south bank of the river on up it was Flint Hill, now all of it is South Avenue.

Towntalk

This is just a wild guess from the dusty mind of an old broad that very well could be wrong, but as I recollect some time ago as I was a passin' down the road the names Flint Hill Road and Presque Isle were mentioned.

AllanY2525

Since we're on the topic of South Ave questions, here's a Trivia question about South Avenue:

In Youngstown's early days, there was a wooden bridge across the Mahoning at the base of
street, cossing to downtown.  At the time, this street was NOT South Avenue yet.....

What was it's former name?

???

kenneyjoe330

Yes I heard it CLOSED.   I bought a small sampling of their fare for my family one Friday when they opened up.  The place was jam packed and it took close to half an hour for the take out order to be ready.  If the food was good the time would have been well spent - but it just not that good  :( That is a good corner for a restaurant.

Towntalk

With everything I need right near me here on Midlothian Blvd. I have no need to venture far from home and when I do have occassion to do so, My friend takes the Expressway for I still do some trading on Belmont Avenue. It's a wonderful life my friend when one can do 90% of their business in the span of 4 hours. Oh I guess that I could raise that up to 100% and do all my business in my immediate area, but there are times when I need to get out just to blow away the dust from my wrinkled brow. As to eating out, I got a fine restaurant just a few steps from my door ... the prices are good ... the food is good and what more can a dottering old broad ask for in the twilight years of her life?

jay

Forum members on the south side must not drive on South Avenue.   ???

jay

Is the Captain Fish Restaurant on South Avenue still open?