News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Fresh Air Camp.

Started by sfc_oliver, October 09, 2009, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

It's alright, when I was 6 years old at Fresh Air camp they used the green man to scare 10 years off my life.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

jrs are you saying you contributed to someone's health problems? :o is that a moral upstanding way that a lawabiding civic servant should act? :o :-X

john r. swierz

The Green man lived near New Castle Pa.  His brother and him both worked as Pole lineman for the Electric Company.  The story goes that one night during a lightning storm they were working on  a pole when lightning hit his brother. He went up to assist his brother and got jolted by lightning.  We used to bring him a carton of cigarettes  in the late 50's.

Mary_Krupa

I went to Fresh Air Camp for one year in the sixties. I have great memories of the camp and absolutely loved going there. I remember their little library which had some old Nancy Drew books in it that I got to read.

It was a special place.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Towntalk

The Fresh Air Camp was authorized in 1910, so does anyone know when the first group of children got to use it?

Interestingly one of the reasons why Volney Rogers got Mill Creek Park started was because of the air pollution in Youngstown due to the many manufacturing plants here.

jay

There is some truth to your observation.
As a child, one relative lived by the tracks near the steel mills and was exposed to uncontrolled mill pollution and smoke from passing locomotives.  The Fresh Air Camp was located next to Mill Creek Park on the west side (up wind of the mills).  Children were sent there for recreation and to breathe "fresh air."

Why?Town

Wow! pollution must have been really bad back then to have to go to a camp for fresh air! ;)

sfc_oliver

OK, Anyone remember Fresh Air Camp and the Greenman? I think I was last there in 59 or 60.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>