News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Vacation Of Detroit Avenue

Started by jay, December 16, 2015, 08:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

It would be nice if a link to the article was included in these posts.

http://66.232.150.6/news/2015/dec/16/city-panel-suggests-closing-part-of-road

Staff report
YOUNGSTOWN]

The planning commission is recommending city council close a section of Detroit Avenue that cuts through Pemberton Park to regular vehicular traffic.
It will enhance the park complex because right now, it's hard to cross the street to get to the other side," said Robert Burke, the city's park and recreation director at Tuesday's commission meeting.
The recommendation would close Detroit Avenue between Shady Run Road to just east of Zedaker Street. That section separates the South Side park's baseball fields on the north from the soccer fields and a pavilion on the south.

If the street is vacated, only those driving to the park will be able to use the road – from the Shady Run Road side – to get to parking areas at Pemberton, said Mayor John A. McNally, a planning commission member. There are about seven houses on Detroit near Zedaker. A blockade would be erected past those houses to not permit vehicles from driving on Detroit to Shady Run, he said.
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

The legislation was sponsored by councilman Swierz.

iwasthere

jay

The section of Detroit Avenue to be closed is 635 feet long.

iwasthere

I have to take a physical visit to the area where they are proposing, rushgal. Ariel maps does nothing for me.

Rushblvd

I am good with it-- :laugh:--hey iwasthere, what is your take?

AllanY2525

Jay, this is only for the section that runs between Zedaker and Shady Run, right?

It would make the park just a tiny bit larger....and one less block of of street to maintain for the city...

jay

How do south side residents feel about the elimination of Detroit Avenue next to the Pemberton Sports Complex?