News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Need Ideas For The Wonder Bread Building

Started by jay, November 17, 2012, 05:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I couldn't agree more.

Consider this, The Cathedral is beautiful and not one penny of tax dollars were spent in building it. If churches can build beautiful structures with private funds, there is no reason why other groups can't do the same.

Mahoning United Methodist Church ... another example of beauty built with private funds.

Rick Rowlands

Whatever you want to do with the building, please do it with private money. Don't go to government to fund your pet project.

Towntalk

In what year was this built? When I lived on Halls Heights, the Day Old Store was in the basemant of the bakery?

Towntalk

The Wonder Bread building would be a perfect building for a business that does restoration of classic cars and or motorcycles except for the fact that it lacks outside parking space. Where did they park the delivery trucks that serviced the area grocery stores?

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on November 17, 2012, 08:48:12 AM
As for the Wonder Bread building, couldn't it be recycled into something for the fine arts like the old Ward Bakery building?

Maybe, but IMO, the 2 buildings aren't that comparable, as they sit now.  The Ward Bakery Building has lots of windows, and lots of original details throughout the building, like wood floors, subway tile, etc.  The Wonder Bread building has almost no windows, and, as a more modern building, doesn't have the unique character that the Ward Building has.  On the plus side, I would assume the Wonder Bread building has open spaces with high ceilings.  But I've never been inside to know for sure.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

have schweble's baking co. use it as the ws thrift store.

Towntalk

In what year did Wonder Bread shut off its ovens at the Mahoning Ave. facility and started shipping in their products from other facilities? I do know that when I lived on Halls Heights back in the 1950's they were still baking there, and in the mornings when I was off to school, the smells of the freshly baked bread was there.

Towntalk

Speaking of empty buildings on the West Side, what is the condition of the old Volunteers of America building that is located up the street from the Calvin Center, between Mahoning and Marshal Street?

As for the Wonder Bread building, couldn't it be recycled into something for the fine arts like the old Ward Bakery building?

jay

The Wonder Bread Building may soon be available for another use.

Do you have any ideas for the reuse of this building?