News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Curious Question For Curious People

Started by Towntalk, October 11, 2012, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

my teachers came from the rel sec and pol professions. they left an impression with me that its the smile on the faces  of the stds when they understood the subject matter, not the dollar bills in their pockets.

Towntalk

Without the least amount of questioning, there are many wonderful dedecated teachers in the school systems today, and they should be honored, and even prized for their efforts.

At West I had an English teacher who during the day taught at West, and in the evenings taught at what was then Youngstown College ... now that's dedecation to her profession, and one of my high school teachers who truely inspired me went on to establish a company that trained teachers in specialized teaching skills.

I could go on and on about the teachers that played an important role in my life, but I would like to hear from others about teachers that played a role in their life.

iwasthere

tt you had teachers that were on top of their game because they lived their profession as well as they taught their in their profession. i had a teacher in hs named dave bailey who taught english as well as he was the drama advisor. db had conections in broadway and also he was involved at the ytown playhouse. db one reguirement for the thespians that we had to usher at the playhouse one time during their theater season to see the operation in frt of the house and as well as in the back of the house. this was one way to put the theater bug in us, thespians. it worked with me.

Towntalk

Oh and by the way ... as I recall, Miss Williams had a large picture of Waring hung on the wall of her classroom, and all the music we used were Fred Waring arrangements.

By the same token, the music that Mr. Richards used were professional arrangements as opposed to a lot of the music that you found in the schools of the day.

Towntalk

Miss Williams had a wonderful voice, and an equally wonderful personality. It was a voice you'd never forget once you heard her sing.

iwasthere

if you worked with fred waring and the penn. you were on top of your game like if you worked barry manilow as his musical arranger as of today.

Towntalk

Before moving to the west side, I went to Hayes and our music teacher formerly worked for Fred Waring and his orchestra and chorus and like Mr. Richards she brought her professional experience to her class which meant that we were doing music that was arranged for professionals at the time and the choir numbered 40 students.

Actually I felt bad for Mrs. Holden because basically she was a nice teacher, but she didn't have the credentials that Mr. Richards possessed. A number of the students that sang in the West choir were really talented and had great voices and she had hopes of having them in the Chaney choir, but they chose not to join it.

iwasthere

i agree with tt. it is 5o % of a teacher approach with the subject. the other half deals with parents and stds participation in a subject matter. i bet both teachers were excellent but they had different views on handling stds.

iwasthere

i agree with tt. it is 5o % of a teacher approach with the subject. the other half deals with parents and stds participation in a subject matter. i bet both teachers were excellent but they had different views on handling stds.

Towntalk

Point well taken.

When I was a student at West Junior High the music teacher was Ron Richards ... a super teacher with credentials that were five miles long and reached from Off Broadway, to NBC, to music director at WFMJ radio, to church choir director, and finally music teacher at West. Funny, students were lined up to take his class and be in the school choir, but when it came time for us to go to Chaney most of them didn't want to take choir because of the teacher. They just didn't like her for some reason.

iwasthere

as a teacher i must listen to the contempary music so i can relate to this generation. i am condoning today's music because this music lacks depth in creativity thru usage of words. i tell the stds the music you listen to gives the indication how you want to be treated as an individal. i do liie some hip hop songs. i love teahing because it keeps me grded to the earth, plus i receive my best material from stds. one time i told the stds to turn off lady gaga. they were surprised that i knew her. they asked mr. t how do you know lg? i told them i knew lg because i am not dead. yet.   

Towntalk

The whole beauty of music is that with not too much effort we can find the sort of music that is pleasing to us and there's no need for controversy or feuding over which is best.

For my part, my age is a factor in my choice of music ... I detest 99.999% of the music that is played on the radio ... Hip Hop ... rap ... grunge ... etc. I was born in the big band era ... jazz ... swing ... my parents taught me to appreciate classical music and every Saturday Metropolitan Opera was a must in our home. I enjoy music many refer to as elevator music, some country, and certain classical works.

Towntalk

If in your free time you would want to build up your library here are the two main sites I use and they have a huge catalogue of music and artists that you can download for free. Try them out and let me know what you think.

http://abmp3.com/artist/a/1

http://www.downloads.nl/local/en/

northside lurker

I can't really narrow it down.  I listen to:
- folk music, (blues, bluegrass, etc., not so much "contemporary folk" music, although I do have a Simon and Garfunkel CD)
- oldies from the 50s and early 60s, (I don't care for much RnR after 1964)
- some big band,
- some jazz (yes, I occasionally listen to WYSU for this, don't like "smooth jazz" aka elevator music, and WYSU doesn't play that kind)
- finger-picking acoustic guitar music, (mostly Leo Kottke, but there are a lot of great artists out there)
- when listening to modern music, I stick to alternative rock that sometimes--but not always--has a "retro" feel.
There is more, but this is what comes to mind at the moment.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

westsider what kind of music do you prefer? My tastes go from easy listening to music from motion pictures and broadway. Just this evening I downloaded music from the broadway version of Phantom Of The Opera -original cast album. and last night I downloaded a Frank Sanatra - Dean Martin At The Sabre Club in Chicago soundtrack (17 tracks).