News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Let's Move to Maine! No Big Box Stores Allowed To Open on Thanksgiving

Started by irishbobcat, November 14, 2012, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I do most of our shopping at the Giant Eagle in Poland. It's pretty much the same way. The managers and about half of the cashiers know me by name, and the one girl in floral goes out of her way to get me exactly what I need. She put the wreath for the bridge dedication together and didn't charge us for the extra flowers she added. Now if I could get the Pharmacy to be as cooperative and as nice............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

brown's drugstore is similiar to your exp. they know what drug i need to keep me docile that i am out of that month. sparkle mkt was like that when the cohen fam owned the grocery store. i do not know how it is since there are new owners. it is comforting to know there are stores that put a human touch to thier services.

Towntalk

No, I'm referring to the folks at the Churchill Commons Giant Eagle.

It's gotten to the place where the folks in the Deli and Service meats know what I want even before I tell them, the manager stops to say hi when he sees me, the bagger knows me by name since I have been shopping at Giant Eagle for as long as I've lived on the North Side (about 30 years).

I suppose that you and others have a store that they look forward to shopping at but here I'm just relating my own experiences.

iwasthere

Towntalk

At my favorite store in the whole wide world, the manager is not sittlng back with his feet up on the desk, but right out there helping stock the shelves ... he's a great gentleman who treats both his employees and his customers the way he would want to be treated and this is a 24/7 store that for all intent and purpose is a mini shopping center, and his ethics show in the attitude of his employees toward the customers. Of course paying him a compliment now and then goes a long way. As to the workers, they treat every customer as if they are something special.

iwasthere

a good leader is out in front with its teammates knowing at all times what is going on in the frt lns.

irishbobcat

They should lead by example.....and start planning post-holiday stategy.

Rick Rowlands

Why would CEOs have to work thanksgiving?  They already set the strategy for their Christmas season kickoff, and now its up to the front line people to carry it out. 

iwasthere

it is going to be interesting if the walmart employees follow suit on with their anticipated strike on black friday.

irishbobcat

I guess the bottom line is only when Americans decide to stay home and not shop on Thanksgiving and these box stores have hundreds of employees standing around doing nothing...will stores not try to open on Thanksgiving....

I know my wife is thinking about shopping Thursday... just sad.

sfc_oliver

Or maybe it's none of our business who is working on Thanksgiving and who is not...... Seems to me it's their choice.....

irishbobcat

Privately owned or not, How many of the big CEO's of these stores will be working on Thanksgiving?
Maybe all employees need to call in sick.....

Towntalk

:)  Ditto  :)

Come to think about it, I already have all the shopping I'll be doing done now so far as Christmas gifts.

sfc_oliver

I've never gone shopping on Black Friday, I certainly won't start going on Thanks giving.

But Some people live to shop...........

iwasthere

if people just learn that the bargains that these stores offer on these days aren't really bargains. the consumers save later on during the xmas season and after then into the new year. so stay home enjoy the parades, entries,  fam and frds companionship, football games and have a piece of pumpkin pie with a nice cup of black hot coffee