News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Let's Move to Maine! No Big Box Stores Allowed To Open on Thanksgiving

Started by irishbobcat, November 14, 2012, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I don't even see why this is an issue worthy of discussion.  These stores are privately owned and whether it is open or closed makes no difference to me.  Its the busybody attitude that pervades America that brings about absolutely insane laws such as this one in Maine.   

kenneyjoe330

I think it could be summed up in one word :  Capitalism

sfc_oliver

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time) but I do believe these stores are opening for 2 reasons.

1. The economy is in the toilet and they need every opportunity to make a buck.

2. There is a perception that enough people want them to be open that they figure it's worth it.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

sfc_oliver

Yes, for the most part we could shut down just about everything for one day a year and no one would be hurt by it or really miss anything, other than the traditional Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the also traditional Footbal games......

But to tell people they cannot shop because it's the law?

And let us remember also the first amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Everyone in the USA is not a Christian. No matter how much some might wish it so......

irishbobcat

Towntalk....yup. you're right to an extent.....I guess if a store wants to be open on Thanksgiving, then please make sure the CEO and everyone who makes the decision to open be at work that day...\

I just find it hard to believe big box stores have to now open on Thanksgiving.....Why do major stores want people in their places Thanksgiving night and at 4am on Friday morning?

I was in J.C. Penney last year on Black Friday from 1pm to 6pm....after all the sales ended. The place was empty.....They were more employees in the store than customers. Why be open during the afternoon and evening when the store was basically emptied? It that's the case, then open Thanksgiving night and close at noon on Friday....

Towntalk

I hadn't planned to do any shopping on Thanksgiving Day, but since certain people are urging us not to shop that day, I think that it should also include every restaurant, movie theater, hey even the radio and TV stations, and the newspapers. Total shutdown. ;D :laugh: ;D  All the folks that work in these places have families that will be shoveling down turkey, stuffing, and all the fixings without them.  :'(

I'm sure that we could get along just fine without TV, movies and eating out for one day.  :P

iwasthere

how about the agnosist and athesits people who want to shop on holidays and sundays.

jay

irishbobcat

Sarge, When I was growing up in the 60's other than a full-service gas station and some small mom and pop stores....everything was closed on Sundays.

kenneyjoe330

As far as I am concerned this country will never be great until we show proper R E S P E C T for the Ten Commandments and as any Christian should be able to tell you the THIRD one deals with keeping "The Lord's Day" HOLY .
I remember the Blue Laws controlled the sale of ANYTHING except food and gas and those two items the restaurants or gas station HAD to be on a STATE ROUTE for it to be opened.  I remember even drug stores were CLOSED on Sunday ! ! !  I also remember Sears being closed on Sunday when the Southern Park Mall first opened - most other stores were opened but NOT Sears ! ! !

sfc_oliver

If I remember right , blue laws controlled alcohol sales on Sunday.

This prevent all sales of anything......... Except maybe food.

So what do you do with a super Walmart?

irishbobcat

Sarge, if you consider this over-regualtion, then you must have been very unhappy when we had blue laws in your younger years....

sfc_oliver

Why?Town

In my opinion the people that would want to go out shopping on the major holidays are somewhat screwy....... just like the people that felt a need for this law to save the screwballs from themselves..