News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jubilee Gardens

Started by Towntalk, February 11, 2013, 08:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I wouldn't know them if I ran into them on a bright sunny day in July ... they have two greenhouses on Ohio Ave. and they did have gardens last year. I will say that the larger garden leaves much to be desired as they didn't streighten it up after they were done by putting things away in the greenhouse and making the lot look presentable. Frames and covers are all over the place, and not neatly stacked in the greenhouse for reuse this spring.

Youngstownshrimp

TT,
Okay, Grow Youngstown was building a green house and wanted this old lot on Ohio, they talked to Flora of the landbank and they spent $2000 to foreclose on this lot we control.  When I found out, we paid off the $11.00 in back taxes and GY and Flora wasted the $2000.  The GY called me up and wanted to buy the lot, I said since you guys were nasty to me ,NO.  I since got a call from GY after Kidd mentioned I would donate the lot and apply the proceeds to a nonprofit.
If you have grassroots real contacts with them, advise me.

Towntalk

So the west side is not the only side of town that has community gardens. There is also a large one on the South Side.

Link to the Jubilee Garden on Fairgreen and Ohio Ave. on Youngstown's North Side.
http://www.growyoungstown.org/urbanagri.html

Towntalk

Jubilee Gardens collaborated with O'Donold's Irish Pub and Grill for the Farm Fresh Irish Brunch held on Sunday.  The fundraiser will help with the upkeep of two community gardens in Youngstown, one in Brier Hill, the other on Ohio Avenue on the city's North Side.

"Growing season will be here before we know it," said Pat Lowry of Jubilee Gardens.

Lowry sits on the Board of Trustees.  He said operating expenses for the gardens can get a bit pricey.

"We provide plants and seeds, and we provide water and other such services to gardeners," said Lowry.  "And so, it cost a little bit of money to do that."

Lowry's friends at O'Donold's stepped in to help raise those funds. The restaurant provided all the food, services and even the chef for the event.

"He's making omelets to order of course," said Jerry Schonhut, general manager at O'Donold's.  "We have the French toast, the potatoes, bacon, ham, fresh fruit.  We have a terrific Bloody Mary bar."

The general manager said O'Donold's is very community-minded, and were more than happy to contribute to Jubilee Gardens.

"The Jubilee Gardens is a terrific project that we felt we wanted to get behind and offer the little bit of help that we could," said Schonhut.

Lowry said the gardens have become an important part of the community where they're located, and serve a lot of families.

"Many of them are city families who can add fresh fruits and vegetables, primarily vegetables, to their own tables," said Lowry.  "And, the other thing that they do I think is real important is that community gardens bring people together." 

The Brier Hill and North Side gardens will open by Memorial Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jubilee-Gardens/128434917174781