News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Quiz

Started by Towntalk, October 30, 2014, 07:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

They had gotten their license for television and needed a larger space, and the radio transmitter was already there so they brought AM, FM and TV under one roof. By the way, TV was another first for WKBN, as it was Youngstown's first TV station.

Peggy Gurney

Y the heck did WKBN move to Boardman?  ::)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Of course the YMCA ... Did you know that the Y was the first real home for WKBN which occupied the third floor.
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Station-Albums/WKBN-1939.pdf

joly1584

Another building we overlooked - is the original YMCA building.  It is still used by the YMCA.  The building is somewhat "hidden" by the City Centre One building and the newer addition to the YMCA.

Another tidbit on the Commerce building-before it was Haber Furniture, it was Oster Bros. Furniture.

Towntalk

The RICA Building was owned by Ohio Edison ... I plum forgot about it but you named the other two I had in mind ... Ohio One, and the Harshman Building. Great work.

joly1584

TT - I can think of 4 building that meet your criteria.

Commerce Building - originally Haber Furniture - 201 East Commerce Street - built 1908

Ohio One Building - originally Ohio Edison - 25 East Boardman Street - built 1922

RICA Building, most recently home to Purple Cat - don't know original use - 117 South Champion Street - built 1900

Harshman Building - formerly Dominion Gas, don't know if that was original use - 101 East Boardman Street - built 1920

FYI - Rich Mills companies owns the first 3 buildings NYO Property Group owns the Harshman building

Towntalk

Urban Renewal resulted in most of the buildings east of the square between East Commerce and East Front Streets demolished with the exception two buildings.
What are the names of those buildings today?
What were they originally used for?
Where are they located at?