News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Budget Bad News

Started by JoyceFarrell, March 21, 2017, 06:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyceFarrell

And I suspect that few know just how much you and your crew have accomplished, and don't forget the number of times you have donated your time and equipment to help others.

Rick Rowlands

And not a single tax dollar has been spent on my project.  There are many people who willingly support it, so no need to force people to pay for it with their scarce tax dollars.

Rick Rowlands

The city keeps giving away money on economic development projects.  Money that it doesn't have.

JoyceFarrell

That works when there are businesses inid the city that serve our basic needs.

Here on the South Side there is only one full service grocery store - the Save-A-Lot on South Avenue. Here in the 7th Ward, we have two full service grocery stores but unfortunately that while they are both within easy reach, they are in Boardman, a Sparkle Market and a Giant Eagle.. Here in the 7th, we are rich in drug stores, a Dollar store and restaurants.

You champion the various Farmer's Market and I agree with you, but you will agree that they can not supply us with a wide variety of food products. They do not sell meat, they do not sell many of the food products that make up a family's pantry such as pasta products, a wide variety of fruits, a wide variety of vegetables year around, dairy products, and household goods.

I'm all for supporting our Farmer's Markets 100% but I cannot live on just the products that are available at them to the exclusion of the products that are available at Super Markets.

In between my monthly grocery shopping, I can take a quick trip to te South Avenue Save-A-Lot, and get the same quality fo food that I get at Giant Eagles andat a lower price.

We can not control where stores are going to open within the city, but as you rightfully say, we need to support the businesses that are here in the city with the understnding that for mpre substantial purchases, we will have to shop outside the city.

jay

This is what happens when the residents of Youngstown don't support the businesses that are located in Youngstown.

JoyceFarrell

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/mar/21/youngstown-finance-director-city-could-f/

Youngstown could face a $2.5 million deficit next year, its finance director says -